Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Post pics of your ride!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diamond diamond diamond diamond diamond diamond diamond diamond diamond diamond diamond
Default Re: Post pics of your ride!

Originally Posted by slomotion
i'll be back at ferrum on sat for the fall, be on the lookout red caliber srt4 around town. Not too hard to miss lol
I'll see you around town probably, i'm at western this semester
Old 08-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by BSeriesTurbo
Not sure on the miata...thinking about boosting it and upgrade a few things...
And keep tracking it,or make it a street car?Boosted Miata would be crazy fun on track.

[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f35/4gevo/EE6CE1EC-64A7-41D5-8440-25412163B66D-11034-000006FA8FA3FF53.jpg[/I\G]

Hmm..brake cooling ducts needed? Lol.

Nice miata man! Not a fan of the style bar, but better than nothing I guess
You just need to quit using the brakes so much
How's the car doing?Any issues?I think after last time you deserve a trouble-free event!

Originally Posted by diamond
Not too many members around here from Franklin County, are there?
[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/28tjgwy.jpg[/IG]
I'm from Franklin County and usually am around there most weekends.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

The miata has no choice of ever being a street car again, 8 point cage+race seats+harnesses and such...no a/c, no p/s, etc... I'm undecided on whether to sell the miata and put some $$ in the evo to make it safer and more track friendly, or to boost the miata. I rolled a good couple turbo/sc miata's this round, I kno it's not the same caliber car, but I dunno....torn lol. Miata def cheaper tho!

Issues were very minimal, the connector at my map sensor is getting flaky apparently, would only show up on the 3rd session on, but I've converted the car to speed density so it controls all the fuel/timing/boost now, can't be having that go out lol. Lean lean lean and then car not running

Brakes were a semi-issue. I destroyed the left front pads...but right fronts are still ok, not sure what the deal was. I know I severly overheated them a time or two, but didn't think they would just go away like water down a funnel after that...

All in all good times, I got to play with a mazdaspeed3 challenge car(should have seen the size of the rig they were hauling, and it was only their "test trailer") for a few laps, but I finally decided I may be ruining what he was trying to do and let him go on by...after talking with him he was enjoying the chase, and wished I had stayed lol. The TRG porsches as fast as fu*k, wasn't able to hang with them too awfully much lol.

EDIT: Just watched some of the video....I hate the sound on the gopro's. I've never been able to get it right and have it sound ok. Tryed hi/lo, seal in/out, just sucks. Most of my sessions I had the hi no seal combo, so the sound it crap. I have one on lo no seal and it's ok...but not good enough. Bryan's countour was excellent, is smaller camera, and 1080. I might look into one of those.

Last edited by BSeriesTurbo; 08-28-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:02 PM

black_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond repute

I need to put this to use again. Picked this baby up on CL a couple of years ago for $200 and it was mint since it never left the street.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

What u doin sunday then?
Old 08-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

The miata has no choice of ever being a street car again, 8 point cage+race seats+harnesses and such...no a/c, no p/s, etc... I'm undecided on whether to sell the miata and put some $$ in the evo to make it safer and more track friendly, or to boost the miata. I rolled a good couple turbo/sc miata's this round, I kno it's not the same caliber car, but I dunno....torn lol. Miata def cheaper tho!

Issues were very minimal, the connector at my map sensor is getting flaky apparently, would only show up on the 3rd session on, but I've converted the car to speed density so it controls all the fuel/timing/boost now, can't be having that go out lol. Lean lean lean and then car not running

Brakes were a semi-issue. I destroyed the left front pads...but right fronts are still ok, not sure what the deal was. I know I severly overheated them a time or two, but didn't think they would just go away like water down a funnel after that...

All in all good times, I got to play with a mazdaspeed3 challenge car(should have seen the size of the rig they were hauling, and it was only their "test trailer") for a few laps, but I finally decided I may be ruining what he was trying to do and let him go on by...after talking with him he was enjoying the chase, and wished I had stayed lol. The TRG porsches as fast as fu*k, wasn't able to hang with them too awfully much lol.

EDIT: Just watched some of the video....I hate the sound on the gopro's. I've never been able to get it right and have it sound ok. Tryed hi/lo, seal in/out, just sucks. Most of my sessions I had the hi no seal combo, so the sound it crap. I have one on lo no seal and it's ok...but not good enough. Bryan's countour was excellent, is smaller camera, and 1080. I might look into one of those.
That's a tough choice.

I've never looked much into what people are doing as far as higher powered Miata track cars.You'd only need 250-300HP for it to be really fast,but I wonder how that would affect the chassis.Like,now you need wider tires to help with putting that power down.I'm sure 225s are no problem,but not sure how much wider you can easily go.Then you may find out you don't have enough thermal capacity in the stock brakes from scrubbing off the higher speeds.I also wonder about the short wheelbase.I know it helps the car rotate and react quickly with stockish power,and you couldn't hardly get the thing to spin under power coming off the turn,even if you tried.With about double the power I just wonder if it will make the car unstable when trying to feed power back in while finishing the turn-I think it may get crazy really quick.....Of course,consumables will definitely get used quicker.

The Evo can be very fast,of course.The big thing,like you've said,is consumables.Tires,brakes,etc cost much more than for the Miata,and get used much quicker.

I'm not sure which car would be more fun to drive once completed.

There's also that whole thing about not tracking a car you can't write off.If you demolish the Miata,just find a cheap shell to swap over to.You've got to decide if the Evo is worth possibly throwing away.

I really like my GoPro HD2.It does 1080,and the sound is decent(better than the earlier generations),but the ticket I think is to get an external mic like Adam has posted about before on here.I looked into them and they're not very expensive,and if you get a corded one you can locate it wherever you want for the best sound.

Do you maybe have a wheel bearing going out on the left front?Not sure if it would make it wear that much more,but most of the sustained high load turns are right handers at VIR(1,5,Oak Tree complex,Hogpen).The pig car could just be loading that wheel bearing more,getting the hub/rotor/pads hotter.

Last edited by TNGChris; 08-28-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude

I was just messin with a gopro hd2 today filming my car and a friend's car. The mic really does suck, and i thought about the external mic idea, but there's no way to plug it in with the case on. Time to use the drill.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by pieisgude
I was just messin with a gopro hd2 today filming my car and a friend's car. The mic really does suck, and i thought about the external mic idea, but there's no way to plug it in with the case on. Time to use the drill.
Yeah,I don't understand why there's no access to it with the case on.Drilling the case should be no problem with a high-speed bit and starting out tiny,working up(I'd be concerned about the case cracking if just going straight to a 1/4" or so hole).
Old 08-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Go Team Marlboro

You can easily get the miata to spin with stock power if you trailbrake too much or crank the wheel, hell you've watched me do it lmao. I've also had it get iffy once or twice in 3 depending on how you apply the power.

Aero+tires+brakes would be a big necessity, I can feel the car get floaty at the measily 115ish speeds it attain's at VIR. The evo I could potentially write off. It's paid for...and rolling chassis' are semi easy to come by, but still..

250hp would be doable, but I think that's getting close to upsetting the bottom end as far as reliability. Dunno, it's quite a toss up for sure.

I've not jacked the car up and checked bearings yet, I never heard and noise or sensation from it. I'm talking a guy on the forums that's super smart with the stuff, he says the pads I'm running without cooling will go away with the quickness....but we shall see.

The price of the new gopro vs the countour tho....kinda makes me want to just get the countour.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:54 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

I bought a $30ish Audio-Technica external mic for the GoPro and to say it's a night and day difference is an incredible understatement. I'll eventually put up a comparison video of it before/after on Chad's 370Z. Even just a skeleton case would be a huge improvement for audio quality. I've also made a homemade deadcat to kill wind noise. I'd suggest looking into it if you want better audio/video.

Quick Reply: Post pics of your ride!