Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Post pics of your ride!

Old 06-21-2013, 04:48 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z
Default Re: Post pics of your ride!

Originally Posted by TNGChris
I can't say I approve of this swap.I never understood why people consider Evos to be such bad daily drivers in stock/near stock form.Obviously,any car can be made into a PITA with radical engine/suspension mods,but what is essentially a Lancer economy car with a higher performance drivetrain and firmer shocks and springs is hardly a racecar.A typically low build quality GM coupe with a V8 that has no better fuel mileage doesn't seem to be a step up in the daily driver category over the Evo.
That being said,at least it has a cool engine.When the car falls apart and is in a junkyard,hopefully it'll find it's way into a better chassis.

I agree, in my opinion the evo is just about the perfect daily driver. For me, it gets me and my daughter around comfortably and safely every day in my commute. And, it's still a fun little car when driven spiritedly. I'm still loving my X, which is weird for me to say since I went through cars so quickly there during about a 5 year span.

He does have a couple good points though - I agree with the rattle and torque issues to some degree. I spent a great deal of time about a month ago taking the plastics out of the X and adding some padding and dynomat to key areas for this reason and it made a HUGE difference. Yeh, I added a little weight, but it's likely the best mod I've done on the X as it cut down on road noise and has zero rattles now. The new EBC and tune more than made up for the added weight as far as performance Low-end torque is a valid complaint. It's a bit annoying when I'm at a light on a hill with the A/C on and feel like I could start faster on a bicycle sometimes.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:35 AM
Registered member

RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster

Originally Posted by pearl350z
I agree, in my opinion the evo is just about the perfect daily driver. For me, it gets me and my daughter around comfortably and safely every day in my commute. And, it's still a fun little car when driven spiritedly. I'm still loving my X, which is weird for me to say since I went through cars so quickly there during about a 5 year span.

He does have a couple good points though - I agree with the rattle and torque issues to some degree. I spent a great deal of time about a month ago taking the plastics out of the X and adding some padding and dynomat to key areas for this reason and it made a HUGE difference. Yeh, I added a little weight, but it's likely the best mod I've done on the X as it cut down on road noise and has zero rattles now. The new EBC and tune more than made up for the added weight as far as performance Low-end torque is a valid complaint. It's a bit annoying when I'm at a light on a hill with the A/C on and feel like I could start faster on a bicycle sometimes.
Well, the Evo X is much better in most of the areas that I mentioned. I think the gears are a little shorter, but otherwise much more livable as a daily driver. It really is a completely different beast from the 8/9.

Another reason I got rid of the evo is that I wanted to get rid of it before Mitsubishi drops out of the US in a year or two and values drop.

Unrelated, but I've now got a set of Koni Yellows and Strano springs on the way to fix the boat-like handling of the trans am
Old 06-21-2013, 06:03 AM
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

I daily'd my Talon for 7 years.

Not proud of it nor do I recommend it. It still did get 28-29mpg with all the mods and stroked bottom end.

I've considered selling my A4 for an Evo as a daily. Problem is finding a clean one that isn't hacked for a reasonable price. You can find a ton of clean ones $20k+ but I'm not interested at that price point.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

Displacement helps the low end tq issue. A good stroker and it's good to go. Rattles are a bit of a thing, but it was more designed as a race car than a daily...

The X is worlds better as far the creature comfort, but they're heavy(despite more aluminum than the 8/9), and not nearly as easy to work on IMO(grain of salt).

I don't think Mitsu's financial issues are going to effect the value(on paper maybe, but not to people) of the cars.

Andrew, the cars can still be found decently for mid teens, they may need a touch of work but parts are plenty and readily available, and they're super simple and easy to work on. Just let me know I can help you with them, Ive only been working on them since '03 when the debuted on US soil.

Last edited by BSeriesTurbo; 06-21-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:53 AM
Registered Member

pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z

I don't remember my 8 being all that more uncomfortable than the X. Maybe it's because I didn't care about the comfort aspect when i had it nearly as much as I do now. But I know for certain it didnt have nearly the number of interior rattles as the X had! Haha. A lot of it is relative to the exact car obviously.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

Went back home to Floyd over the weekend! My parents told me they recently scraped their road up the mountain, so I was able to take the Evo.... otherwise it's a truck only terrain. I had to stop at the old tobacco barn on my way up there; many memories.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:44 PM
GT-Four Guy

Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze

Body roll like a boss + 20psi tires.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Is that your 2002?Nice!

Finally got the wheels I wanted for the truck.I think I'm done with it,other than maybe a turbo later
Before and after pics:

Old 07-01-2013, 04:31 AM
Registered member

RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster RawrImAMonster

Put a set of Konis and Strano springs on the trans am over the weekend. Handles much much better now and it doesn't feel like the car is out of control when you're full throttle like it used to. They should have came from the factory like this.

Name:  5TpRhEnh.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  147.3 KB
Old 07-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Registered member

ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995

Coming soon...

Quick Reply: Post pics of your ride!