Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Question about hunting areas around roanoke

Old 12-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh
Default Question about hunting areas around roanoke

Mods if this needs to be put in off topic please move it for me, but figured I'd get more specific answers here.

I'm just seeing if anyone in the blacksburg/roanoke area has or knows of any land to hunt on. I go to college up here so obviously don't have any land. I'm just starting to get into it so don't want anything too hard core, just empty land basically.

I know the seasons up here are basically ending but I'll be up here next year too.

Thanks for any info
Old 12-09-2008, 02:19 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Question about hunting areas around roanoke

Only thing you can really do is to talk to people at Whitetail or other areas and let them know you are looking for hunting rights.

I sell rights to a few pieces of property I own in Floyd, and am constantly asked by people for it. There are plenty of places to hunt, some people will let you hunt on their land if you give them some meat or money, but there are a lot of people that will not let you.

just gotta go out and beat feet man, what area are you looking in? I might know some people, so let me know where you want to go and I will look into it.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

temp2 will become famous soon enoughtemp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fc735
Only thing you can really do is to talk to people at Whitetail or other areas and let them know you are looking for hunting rights.

I sell rights to a few pieces of property I own in Floyd, and am constantly asked by people for it. There are plenty of places to hunt, some people will let you hunt on their land if you give them some meat or money, but there are a lot of people that will not let you.

just gotta go out and beat feet man, what area are you looking in? I might know some people, so let me know where you want to go and I will look into it.
+1 and +rep for truth. I cant stand it when someone has a small plot and wants a ridiculous amount $ for hunting rights. Ive also had property owners try to charge me by the number of deer taken, which is just retarded. If you're paying someone for hunting rights to their land, it should be like a club membership, or a gym membership, use it a little or alot, price should still be the same for everyone.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

Originally Posted by fc735

Ya I was planning on going to some doors and just straight ask them if they wouldn't mind. What is whitetail, never heard of it?

I don't really plan on taking a whole lot, I'll probably be too busy with school to go out there often. Just looking for somewhere big enough to explore some in the blacksburg/radford/roanoke area.

I'd be willing to drove down to floyd too, my girlfriend goes to ferrum so I'm down there some.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Nada

str8jakett will become famous soon enough

Whitetail is a gun/bow/hunting shop on Route 8 a few miles out of Christiansburg. Darrell is a good guy, he will point you in the right direction.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by str8jakett
Whitetail is a gun/bow/hunting shop on Route 8 a few miles out of Christiansburg. Darrell is a good guy, he will point you in the right direction.
I'll try to stop by there sometime this weekend.

Keep the replies comin'
Old 12-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

srt4hokie is on a distinguished road

Pay 4 bucks for the national forest stamp and head to Jefferson National Forest….
Old 12-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by srt4hokie
Pay 4 bucks for the national forest stamp and head to Jefferson National Forest….
I dont like hunting with the average american, I'd rather die by fire then be accidentally shot because some asshole thought I was an orange deer.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

srt4hokie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by temp2
I dont like hunting with the average american, I'd rather die by fire then be accidentally shot because some asshole thought I was an orange deer.
Even on private land your not going to get away from that....
Old 12-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

true, but the probability is significantly reduced.

Quick Reply: Question about hunting areas around roanoke