Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

ran a new personal best last night

Old 08-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marshall has disabled reputation
Default Re: ran a new personal best last night

Originally Posted by fc735
i find it rather humorous that an SUV is pulling times faster then 90% of the turbo hondas on this board
glad I'm in the other 10% - 8.9 @ 85mph friday night, haha 11mph faster and only 2 tenths quicker...
Old 08-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

myclone has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Matt 5.9
9.150 at 74.01 on a 2.02 sixty foot.

i had one run that had a 2.000 60 foot...i was pissed. i wanted that 1.9XX!!!

first run was in 2wd. i ran a 9.4 on a 2.2 60. then i put the driveshaft back in. i think if i get my shifting down pat and some cooler weather it has a 8.99 in it. (i have to let off on my shifts so i doesnt float the valves)

side note: the 4.56 gears didnt vastly improve my e/t or my short time. BUUUT, i ran a 5.87 330 (that is .15 tenths better than my previous) and my trap speed went down by about 1.5-2 mph. stock gears were 3.73

i think my current setup (gears, custom flash) is gonna be sick nasty with a 220ish cam and 2.02s heads

cant wait...just gotta put in some more overtime (also been thinkin about taking out a small loan) <--- yes, im crazy
I take it your running that thing in 4HI? If so are you bringing the motor up against the brakes and converter when launching (what some ppl call "brake torqueing")? Ya need to find the sweet spot where youre stalling it high enough to launch as hard as possible but not so high that you over power the brakes and creep through the lights or blow the tires off which slows you down.

You running the stock-ish motor in your rig? If so winding it to valve float isnt really making you any faster unless your valve springs are beyond shot. With your gearing, vehicle weight, and low end tq keep the revs down and use that neat stuff called torque. Leave the 9k RPM stuff to the nascar guys and idiots like me that like to wind the piss outta everything .

While Im sure other ppl will argue this point....if youre using street radials try lowering the pressure a couple of lbs at a time and see if it helps. Everyone says it hurts traction for street radials but I went from 1.79 60fts to 1.70 60fts by dropping to 22psi in the rears and 26psi in the front. Youre pressures will prolly be different since I doubt youre using the same tires as me but it might be worth a shot to help get that sub 2.0 60ft youre after.

Last edited by myclone; 08-07-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:37 PM
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by gwHype
Thunder Valley is a joke of a go cart place....but I guess it could be fun.

it is something to do..other than movies...and random shit
Old 08-08-2005, 02:52 PM
more v-tek than you

gwHype has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by AMDxp2000
it is something to do..other than movies...and random shit
True....

Why would you build a go-kart facility with only oval tracks? Doesn't make sense to me...
Old 08-08-2005, 02:53 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by gwHype
True....

Why would you build a go-kart facility with only oval tracks? Doesn't make sense to me...
Beats any other go-kart facilities we have here. It's a monopoly, no? I don't suppose it matters if it's a figure 8 or an oval track because that's all there is here--but I personally think it's a half decent place.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Matt 5.9 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by myclone
I take it your running that thing in 4HI? If so are you bringing the motor up against the brakes and converter when launching (what some ppl call "brake torqueing")? Ya need to find the sweet spot where youre stalling it high enough to launch as hard as possible but not so high that you over power the brakes and creep through the lights or blow the tires off which slows you down.

You running the stock-ish motor in your rig? If so winding it to valve float isnt really making you any faster unless your valve springs are beyond shot. With your gearing, vehicle weight, and low end tq keep the revs down and use that neat stuff called torque. Leave the 9k RPM stuff to the nascar guys and idiots like me that like to wind the piss outta everything .

While Im sure other ppl will argue this point....if youre using street radials try lowering the pressure a couple of lbs at a time and see if it helps. Everyone says it hurts traction for street radials but I went from 1.79 60fts to 1.70 60fts by dropping to 22psi in the rears and 26psi in the front. Youre pressures will prolly be different since I doubt youre using the same tires as me but it might be worth a shot to help get that sub 2.0 60ft youre after.
the jeep is AWD. so yes, 4hi. i had good results brake torqueing back when i had the stock convertor but now i just 'flash' from a idle. the 2600 stall seems to make it boggy when i torque it up. i have a custom flash that has the shift points a weee bit too high. it will shift at 5600-5800 if i let it so i have been letting off around 5200 letting it shift and then getting back on it....im sure that cant be helping my times.

ive never messed with tire pressure that much but i guess i can give it a try. surprisingly enough most of the jeep guys air their tires UP at that track 35-40 psi all the way around. that advice came from a fellow jeeper running 8.4s on 1.8 sixties..

thanks for the advice bro..
Old 08-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Matt 5.9
the jeep is AWD. so yes, 4hi.
Sweet... My bad as I thought you had a shiftable xfer case (Im not up on jeep stuff so I didnt even know they had AWD)

i had good results brake torqueing back when i had the stock convertor but now i just 'flash' from a idle. the 2600 stall seems to make it boggy when i torque it up.
If youre getting good results flashing the converter then stick with it IMO.

i have a custom flash that has the shift points a weee bit too high. it will shift at 5600-5800 if i let it so i have been letting off around 5200 letting it shift and then getting back on it....im sure that cant be helping my times.
Eh, not much you can do here unless you get a reflash to shift earlier throw some valve springs on it to put up with the extra RPM. Lifting to get it to short shift is slowing you down but winding it until valve float is really REALLY hard on the valve train. Try to keep from floating the valves if you can....dont ask me how I know LOL.

ive never messed with tire pressure that much but i guess i can give it a try. surprisingly enough most of the jeep guys air their tires UP at that track 35-40 psi all the way around. that advice came from a fellow jeeper running 8.4s on 1.8 sixties..
If ppl who have the same or similar set up as you have increased tire pressure to help their 60fts then by all means try it. Im sure you and I are running opposite style tires so my suggestion to lower tire pressure is just that...a suggestion. You might try increasing pressures like other ppl have done and see if your 60s improve but if you see no improvement after several changes go the other way with pressures. Basically its just experimenting to see what your combo likes for a given track condition.

FWIW I cant 60ft worth a crap at NB even with AWD and soft drag radials so if youre trying to get personal bests at that track youre beating your head against a wall IMO. I havent tried the shelor track yet so I cant comment on it but if you get a chance to hit Rockingham give them a try since they usually prep the hell outta the track there and you should get some killer 60fts.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:30 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

valve float is GM's rev limiter. that, or an HEI distributor.....
Old 08-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by fc735
valve float is GM's rev limiter.
My thoughts exactly but 99.9% of the population thinks Im insane.
or an HEI distributor.....
LOL...gotta love the ol HEI and watching some knot head trying to use a stock one in a "race car" then pulling his hair out trying to find a high RPM misfire. Idiots..
Old 08-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

marshall has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by myclone
FWIW I cant 60ft worth a crap at NB even with AWD and soft drag radials so if youre trying to get personal bests at that track youre beating your head against a wall IMO. I havent tried the shelor track yet so I cant comment on it but if you get a chance to hit Rockingham give them a try since they usually prep the hell outta the track there and you should get some killer 60fts.
I've gotten a few 1.6 60ft's at NB on street tires, don't blame the track.

Quick Reply: ran a new personal best last night