Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Rear Ended, Need Opinions On Repair!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of
Default Rear Ended, Need Opinions On Repair!

Car was rear ended, pushed into a car in front. Both front and rear urethane bumpers have creases, front has a large dimple/crease pushed in about 1" or so and a 10" long line crease as well. Rear has a couple of holes punched through and a crease.

I am taking it to Woodings for the repair based on the advice from previous posts on this forum. Here is the thing. My insurance agent came out to take a look at the damage. On the repair writeup he has recommended that both bumpers be repaired. I REALLY just want them replaced, as I don't think a repair is sufficient to get it back the way it was (eg. not a butchered up repaired bumper). The other guys insurance (guy at fault) is/will claim liability for the accident and repair costs, so I wouldn't think I would get much resistance from my agent.

What would you do? Would you demand new bumpers front and rear?

Bodywork guys, what is the truth of the matter on how well urethane bumpers can be repaired? Is the urethane filler/weld resistant to cold/heat expansion and contraction, as well as flexability?

I really don't want to have to deal with issues down the road like spider cracks or anything else. I want it back to the way it was! What say you?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo
Default Re: Rear Ended, Need Opinions On Repair!

Tell the guys at Woodings you want them replaced. They'll tell the insurance guy that the need to be replaced, and they will replace them.

Insurance always wants to paint stuff instead of replacing it. It's cheaper for them. When I wrecked my GSXR and destroyed the bodywork on one side, they wanted to have it bondo'd and painted...

Bottom line is you have the right to have your car fixed the way you see fit. At worst, if they don't agree to replace it, tell them that if it doesn't look right when you are done that you'll demand they have it replaced. They will replace them instead of taking the chance of doing the repair twice.

Last edited by Cosmo; 07-16-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:49 AM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

Originally Posted by Cosmo
Tell the guys at Woodings you want them replaced. They'll tell the insurance guy that the need to be replaced, and they will replace them.
Yep. Demand that they replace them, of course being polite to the body shop, but don't let the insurance company just repair if at all possible.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Okay, seems like my insurance inspector dude gave the go ahead to replace the front bumper, but for whatever reason is hesitant on the rear until he gets to "look at it again."

Funny thing is, I get a call back from Woodings and now the insurance guys is "on vacation all next week." Seems like my insurance or both of them, are trying to get me to say to go ahead and repair/paint the rear bumper.

Ain't gonna happen people. I'll be calling Liberty Mutual to complain about the lack of speedy repair and demand another inspector to give the go ahead to replace the rear.

I hate this insurance shit, ugh.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:28 PM
cizko

wastedfluid has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Originally Posted by GaRn
Okay, seems like my insurance inspector dude gave the go ahead to replace the front bumper, but for whatever reason is hesitant on the rear until he gets to "look at it again."

Funny thing is, I get a call back from Woodings and now the insurance guys is "on vacation all next week." Seems like my insurance or both of them, are trying to get me to say to go ahead and repair/paint the rear bumper.

Ain't gonna happen people. I'll be calling Liberty Mutual to complain about the lack of speedy repair and demand another inspector to give the go ahead to replace the rear.

I hate this insurance shit, ugh.
What insurance company do you have?

I have Allstate. Two claims in my life.. I hit a dog, ripped off my front bumper, lost IC piping, fucked up my intercooler - Allstate let me fix it my way, no questions asked. Second was for someone breaking into my car / stealing lots of shit. They replaced everything that was on the car - windows, tint, and anything physically attached to the car. Conned the repair guy into replacing my ipod, too. They wouldn't buy me a new pack of cigs, though.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

I can't believe an adjuster even wants to look at it being that it's a small claim,and Wooding's is a Blue Ribbon(or whatever they call it.basically,most companies accept their estimate as-is,with no inspection)facility.
I can say that i've never seen a urethane bumper that's been repaired that holds up as well as an undamaged bumper.I'd insist that they replace both,period.I just can't see them putting up much of a fight,as OEM Honda bumper covers don't cost that much,and the saved repair labor(where with a new bumper they'll only have minimal prep time)will offset some of the cost also.Wooding's has always been very helpful with me as far as getting everything set up the way I want it,and I've never had my or the other party's insurance company question them.
Chris
Old 07-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by wastedfluid
What insurance company do you have?

I have Allstate. Two claims in my life.. I hit a dog, ripped off my front bumper, lost IC piping, fucked up my intercooler - Allstate let me fix it my way, no questions asked. Second was for someone breaking into my car / stealing lots of shit. They replaced everything that was on the car - windows, tint, and anything physically attached to the car. Conned the repair guy into replacing my ipod, too. They wouldn't buy me a new pack of cigs, though.
Liberty Mutual.

The weird thing is, State Farm is accepting liability for payment of the damages, so I don't know WTH the Liberty Mutual guy is being resistant to replace the rear bumper. You would think since I am his customer he would be willing to do the correct thing. That's why I went through my insurance in the first place, to avoid this cheapskate minimum payout crap.

I'm pretty much going to scream until I get what I want now, they've pissed me off.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by TNGChris
I can't believe an adjuster even wants to look at it being that it's a small claim,and Wooding's is a Blue Ribbon(or whatever they call it.basically,most companies accept their estimate as-is,with no inspection)facility.
I can say that i've never seen a urethane bumper that's been repaired that holds up as well as an undamaged bumper.I'd insist that they replace both,period.I just can't see them putting up much of a fight,as OEM Honda bumper covers don't cost that much,and the saved repair labor(where with a new bumper they'll only have minimal prep time)will offset some of the cost also.Wooding's has always been very helpful with me as far as getting everything set up the way I want it,and I've never had my or the other party's insurance company question them.
Chris
Not sure if it makes much of a difference, possibly, but it's not my Honda that was rear ended but my wifes Volvo S40. Parts are probably expensive, who knows
Old 07-17-2009, 04:42 AM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Originally Posted by GaRn
Not sure if it makes much of a difference, possibly, but it's not my Honda that was rear ended but my wifes Volvo S40. Parts are probably expensive, who knows
That could be why. More than likely though they are just giving you the standard insurance runaround...
Old 07-23-2009, 09:46 PM
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

thought that was your car down there...

Damn Dude

Sucks

Quick Reply: Rear Ended, Need Opinions On Repair!