Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

is Roanoke a good place to live?

Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Famous...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rotorsownyou7 has disabled reputation
Default Re: is Roanoke a good place to live?

Charlottesville is better.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Registered member

BABYBOICIVIC has disabled reputation

eyyyy guys VA PEOPLE THERE IS GOING TO BE A MEET UP IN VA!!! WHOS DOWN?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Pimpin teh stockness

blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5

Yeah, I am looking for a nice safe place to work and raise my son. Aurora has its nice spots, and denver is pretty cool, but I am looking to come back east. Isn't charlottesville expensive and snobbish? I lived in Richmond for 5 years, and I have to say I hated it.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Famous...

rotorsownyou7 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by blackFa5
Yeah, I am looking for a nice safe place to work and raise my son. Aurora has its nice spots, and denver is pretty cool, but I am looking to come back east. Isn't charlottesville expensive and snobbish? I lived in Richmond for 5 years, and I have to say I hated it.
Charlottesville is expensive if you live in the city, but not snobbish. That's a myth. I lived in the country all my life and I have no problems here. But this place is much better than Roanoke. However, if you are coming to raise your son and everything, you really can't go wrong with Roanoke.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 PM
B Nice

STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW

Originally Posted by GuNnErgOd
Funny, people that grew up in Richmond say the same thing about here.
I grew up in the country/Richmond and don't really like Richmond much. I lived in Roanoke for a year and honestly if it weren't for my job in Richmond, I'd move back in a heartbeat.

What I liked about Roanoke is that everything is really close. Richmond is HUGE in comparison. Like you could consider Richmond the entire downtown part, West End/Short Pump, and maybe even southside/Midlothian. I lived near Tanglewood when I lived there and I had 2 malls, 3 Walmarts, 2 Kmarts, 5 Krogers, and every fast food you could think of within no more than 10 minutes. And downtown was like 5 minutes away.

I also miss the traffic in Roanoke, lol. People in Richmond are fucking idiots. EVERY single day all 3 lanes of 95 come to a stop on my way to work, and after hundreds of mornings I've concluded that the only reason we could possibly stop is that there is a curve in that section. Apparently somewhere along the line someone must be slamming their brakes or stopping to go around a 45mph curve on interstate. In Roanoke I can't really ever recall traffic jams. And when it rains here, people drive slow, in Roanoke they use good judgement and adjust their spend depending on how hard it's raining. LOL, and when it comes to snow people in Richmond will drive 5mph. People in Roanoke are used to it and drive accordingly.

The racial tension is far worse in Richmond IMO.

And cops up there are dicks with nothing to do.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:59 PM
ConflictedFelon

jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k

Originally Posted by rotorsownyou7
Charlottesville is better.
i'd love to live there, but it's too expensive with the college and all.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:21 AM
FTW

GuNnErgOd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by STi_FTMFW
I grew up in the country/Richmond and don't really like Richmond much. I lived in Roanoke for a year and honestly if it weren't for my job in Richmond, I'd move back in a heartbeat.

What I liked about Roanoke is that everything is really close. Richmond is HUGE in comparison. Like you could consider Richmond the entire downtown part, West End/Short Pump, and maybe even southside/Midlothian. I lived near Tanglewood when I lived there and I had 2 malls, 3 Walmarts, 2 Kmarts, 5 Krogers, and every fast food you could think of within no more than 10 minutes. And downtown was like 5 minutes away.

I also miss the traffic in Roanoke, lol. People in Richmond are fucking idiots. EVERY single day all 3 lanes of 95 come to a stop on my way to work, and after hundreds of mornings I've concluded that the only reason we could possibly stop is that there is a curve in that section. Apparently somewhere along the line someone must be slamming their brakes or stopping to go around a 45mph curve on interstate. In Roanoke I can't really ever recall traffic jams. And when it rains here, people drive slow, in Roanoke they use good judgement and adjust their spend depending on how hard it's raining. LOL, and when it comes to snow people in Richmond will drive 5mph. People in Roanoke are used to it and drive accordingly.

The racial tension is far worse in Richmond IMO.

And cops up there are dicks with nothing to do.
Sounds like we're in the same boat!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Here's my take on Roanoke...

If you like Nascar and hunting, you'll fit in well here. Rednecks pretty much rule the place. Nobody can drive around here, so they drive big station wagons or pickup trucks to give them added protection when they crash. I ride bicycles, but apparently around here rednecks think that cars are the only ones allowed on the road. I have been hit by a car twice in the last year, and had more near misses than I can count. I have also been shot with a paintball gun and had many things thrown at me while on my bike. One time it happened and I saw a cop on the next block. I stopped him and asked if he could do anything about it, and he told me I should stick to riding on the sidewalks because "people don't take kindly to having to go around people on bikes". Granted, it's illegal to ride on a sidewalk, but I digress...

As for snow, I can't tell you the last time we had any, but when people even hear rumors that it may snow, they flock to the grocery stores and buy up all the bread and milk. Now, I've been living in Roanoke for almost 36 years. Only one time ever has it snowed enough that we have been stuck in the house for more than half a day. But everyone thinks "snow" means "blizzard lasting a week". I'm not even going to mention how people around here drive in the snow. Needless to say if there is any snow on the ground, stay off the roads because people completely lose their mind in the snow, and if you are anywhere within a mile of them they are going to hit you.

Business-wise, you run into a lot of "rednecks with money" as I call them. They are rednecks who happen to have a decent job, so they think everyone owes them something and that nobody is ever right about anything except them. Of course, I tend to run into a lot of them in my job. Even worse is if they work for a church. We have pretty much stopped dealing with churches because they are such assholes.

Honestly, if my children and family weren't in Roanoke, I would have left long ago. I hate pretty much everything about this area. It sucks and has no redeeming qualities. This town is full of idiots and rednecks, and should be wiped off the face of the earth. If you are thinking of moving here, I highly recommend you reconsider. Run far, far, far from this area if you can possibly do it.

That's just my opinion, however...

Last edited by Cosmo; 02-18-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:40 PM
vaginadriven.com

Boosted Bitch Boosted Bitch Boosted Bitch Boosted Bitch Boosted Bitch Boosted Bitch Boosted Bitch Boosted Bitch Boosted Bitch Boosted Bitch Boosted Bitch

Originally Posted by Cosmo
Here's my take on Roanoke...

If you like Nascar and hunting, you'll fit in well here. Rednecks pretty much rule the place. Nobody can drive around here, so they drive big station wagons or pickup trucks to give them added protection when they crash. I ride bicycles, but apparently around here rednecks think that cars are the only ones allowed on the road. I have been hit by a car twice in the last year, and had more near misses than I can count. I have also been shot with a paintball gun and had many things thrown at me while on my bike. One time it happened and I saw a cop on the next block. I stopped him and asked if he could do anything about it, and he told me I should stick to riding on the sidewalks because "people don't take kindly to having to go around people on bikes". Granted, it's illegal to ride on a sidewalk, but I digress...

As for snow, I can't tell you the last time we had any, but when people even hear rumors that it may snow, they flock to the grocery stores and buy up all the bread and milk. Now, I've been living in Roanoke for almost 36 years. Only one time ever has it snowed enough that we have been stuck in the house for more than half a day. But everyone thinks "snow" means "blizzard lasting a week". I'm not even going to mention how people around here drive in the snow. Needless to say if there is any snow on the ground, stay off the roads because people completely lose their mind in the snow, and if you are anywhere within a mile of them they are going to hit you.

Business-wise, you run into a lot of "rednecks with money" as I call them. They are rednecks who happen to have a decent job, so they think everyone owes them something and that nobody is ever right about anything except them. Of course, I tend to run into a lot of them in my job. Even worse is if they work for a church. We have pretty much stopped dealing with churches because they are such assholes.

Honestly, if my children and family weren't in Roanoke, I would have left long ago. I hate pretty much everything about this area. It sucks and has no redeeming qualities. This town is full of idiots and rednecks, and should be wiped off the face of the earth. If you are thinking of moving here, I highly recommend you reconsider. Run far, far, far from this area if you can possibly do it.

That's just my opinion, however...

Couldn't have said it better myself!!
Old 02-18-2009, 01:00 PM
LKB
PE#1

LKB

Well Fuck me.
I guess i'll just crawl up under a rock and die.
Goddammit I didn't realize the place I grew up in sucked so bad.
Thanks a lot dick.

Quick Reply: is Roanoke a good place to live?