Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Roll Cages Installed locally?

Old 04-17-2007, 02:15 PM
I <3 2JZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Roll Cages Installed locally?

Just testing the waters as I'm considering a roll cage. Anyone locally do a good job? Any ball park figures of costs? I see mild steel cages go for around 200, how much do chromoly ones go for? I'm assuming that the labor of install and tig welding is where the majority of the money goes into to. I've seen a could shops up north that do this type of thing, and I might have to make a trip that way when the time comes.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:32 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Roll Cages Installed locally?

there are a few local guys in floyd that do them, namely Huffy's. but with it coming into race season, you will not get anything done at most places.

there are several in roanoke that i remember though.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:58 PM
ded
slo truk

ded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond repute

I was gonna start a thread with the same question. I need one now, but I'll see if I can hold it off until the fall, like fc735 said it's tough to get stuff done during the race season. Plus I'd like one more summer of driving the truck without a bar in it.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:34 PM
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

While I don't think I'd need more than a 6-point cage, I'm wondering if investing in a 8-10 should be considered? Can I upgrade to an 8-10 later on? Or are most 6-point cages designed just as that, 6-points with no room for upgrade?

My car is barely in need of a 6-point, and I'm not saying I need an 8-10 point, I'm just trying to weigh out my options so that I don't have to invest money later on.

Also I'm sure drivability and convience are huge factor when going to the larger cages.

I need a daily
Old 04-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

FRCE PWR has disabled reputation

Years back, I had Pat Bennett Race Cars in Amherst install an 8-point chrom-moly cage in my 96 Cobra. He did a TOP NOTCH job! EXACTLY what I wanted and very nice to work with. I'd never even consider anyone else.

I'd hate to even try to price it now, as I had it done several years back.

Steve
Old 04-18-2007, 04:19 AM
ded
slo truk

ded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spooln4
While I don't think I'd need more than a 6-point cage, I'm wondering if investing in a 8-10 should be considered? Can I upgrade to an 8-10 later on? Or are most 6-point cages designed just as that, 6-points with no room for upgrade?

My car is barely in need of a 6-point, and I'm not saying I need an 8-10 point, I'm just trying to weigh out my options so that I don't have to invest money later on.

Also I'm sure drivability and convience are huge factor when going to the larger cages.

I need a daily
A 5 point rollbar is good down to 6.50 for 1/8th mile, after that you need a full cage. And if the shop knows what they're doing they can build off of your 5/6 point rollbar and make it a full cage later if you need it. I'm gonna do a 6 point with swingouts and call it good. Even if I got to the point of running mid 6's, I don't want to deal with all the other crap that comes at that level (licensing, etc.).

And yes, if you need to put a rollbar in the daily, then you definitely need a beater! LOL
Old 04-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

boosted87quest has a spectacular aura aboutboosted87quest has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bad360rt
A 5 point rollbar is good down to 6.50 for 1/8th mile, after that you need a full cage. And if the shop knows what they're doing they can build off of your 5/6 point rollbar and make it a full cage later if you need it. I'm gonna do a 6 point with swingouts and call it good. Even if I got to the point of running mid 6's, I don't want to deal with all the other crap that comes at that level (licensing, etc.).

And yes, if you need to put a rollbar in the daily, then you definitely need a beater! LOL
I never would have dreamed I would need a cage in this car for pump gas runs. I researched a 6-pt and 8pt last night and it looks like an 8-point doesn't require much more modification, as it's more bracing behind the front seats. It's the 10-pt cage that requires significant front dash modification.

*** Whoops posted under my room mates handle****
Spooln4
Old 04-18-2007, 01:20 PM
I <3 2JZ

After doing some more research it looks like a 6-pt can easily be converted into an 8. The question I have now, and the shop that welds it will be able to answer it better is which metal to choose? Obviously mild steel weighs more, rusts, and I don't want that. I have heard that chromoly is often not prepped, and welded correctly (pre-heated), which can cause structure problems.

I'm trying to save as much money as possible, I wonder if shops would come down in price if I brought them an already stripped interior car, and possibly the kit itself.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Banned

QUICKTA is an unknown quantity at this point

Grooves Automotive in downtown Roanoke did one for my old 93 TransAm I had
Old 04-19-2007, 05:00 AM
Registered Member

marshall has disabled reputation

for install cost figure 100$ per point

Quick Reply: Roll Cages Installed locally?