Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Roll Cages Installed locally?

Old 04-20-2007, 03:21 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris
Default Re: Roll Cages Installed locally?

you may want to also consider a bolt-in bar,like Autopower.they migh not fit as tightly in a stripped car,since they're designed to work with the interior still in(although it sounds like you're keeping it anyway).they're relatively inexpensive,and you should have it in a a week.i've installed a few of them,and they always fit well
i have the street roll bar in my coupe that i got about 10 years ago,which i recently added my own diaginal bar and harness bar,then i'll be adding door bars before going back to the track this year.
if you ever want to take it out to sell the car or do interior work,you can have it out in no time.
Chris
Old 04-24-2007, 06:59 AM
Banned

SAVAGE has disabled reputation

Spooln4 to answer you ?s it would take 3 to 4 days time and the front down bars do have to be at a certain height. To meet tech specs there is some measurements to fit driver. but they are normaly no high. but if you have any more ? feel free to call shop ( hybrid garage) at 540-368-0030
Old 04-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Drink Up, Chumps

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Originally Posted by Spooln4
I see mild steel cages go for around 200, how much do chromoly ones go for?
It depends on where you go and what exactly you want. But I got a quick quote for ~$2,200 for a chromoly cage for an E46 M3 by a reputable place.
Thanks for responding, this was the shop I was considering. I would definitely remove the interior panels my self, does the front dash require removal (I hope not) for a 6-pt?
Depends if you want the dash bar or not. If not, you shouldn't have to.
Can the side arms on the 6-pt cage be mounted lower? Or is there a specific track spec rule that requires it a certain height up? Main reason is this car is driven daily, and getting in and out of the car looks like a pain in the ass.
Rule of thumb is between your shoulder and hips. Please please please check the sanctioning body's rulebook before you attempt to get one made. Some are real generic and some are super specific. (i.e. mounting points, welds, thickness/diameter of pipe, required cross bars, etc...) I've seen my fair share of guys getting turned around at tech with new cages because they didn't look at the rulebook.
Originally Posted by TNGChris
you may want to also consider a bolt-in bar,like Autopower.they migh not fit as tightly in a stripped car,since they're designed to work with the interior still in(although it sounds like you're keeping it anyway).they're relatively inexpensive,and you should have it in a a week.i've installed a few of them,and they always fit well
i have the street roll bar in my coupe that i got about 10 years ago,which i recently added my own diaginal bar and harness bar,then i'll be adding door bars before going back to the track this year.
if you ever want to take it out to sell the car or do interior work,you can have it out in no time.
Chris
Autopower also makes weld-in cages for a decent price. Basically it's a big box of pre-bent pipes and plates that you get welded in. It's made to fit with the interior and the clearances are usually pretty decent. But there's no way around getting a nice custom cage made. Remember, it's your life you're betting on if the shit hits the fan, don't skimp out.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:32 AM
i <3 haters..xoxo

frk_concepts has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by QUICKTA
mine cost $400, but I removed all the interior and left the seats, dash, and door panels so he knew where I wanted my seat, he made the cage around the seat, it was an 8 pt cage
wow, thats a deal for an 8pt....what material was used? is it nhra spec?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Banned

QUICKTA is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the cage from chassis enginering and I think it was legal
Old 05-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by QUICKTA
I got the cage from chassis enginering and I think it was legal
so,they just welded it in,not actually fabbed it?you bought the cage in a somewhat pre-made form?
Chris
Old 05-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

you still had to cut it to lenth, all pieces were made to long so you had to cut and notch them I believe, it has been a while
Old 05-05-2007, 12:53 PM
i <3 haters..xoxo

frk_concepts has disabled reputation

so you spent $400 total, for a prebent cage and labor for someone to weld it in? thats a damn good deal if so....chromoly? mild steel?
Old 05-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

no, 400 was just for the install,cutting and welding, I can not remmeber how much the cage was, it has been a while, mild steel