Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

subaru questions

Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 AM
www.flat4va.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05GrayWRX has disabled reputation
Default Re: subaru questions

Originally Posted by TNGChris
This has all the info you need:
http://forums.nasioc.com/
I wouldn't rely on most of the douchebags around here for car modding advice.
Chris

*BTW-That wasn't directed to the above posts.There are hardly any,if any at all,extensively modded Subarus around here.The above forum has so many knowledgable people,that it'd be a shame to be asking around on here for advice instead.
NASIOC will net you better advice. Typical route is up pipe & turbo back with a tune (Cobb off the shelf stuff isn't that great, get a custom tune from somone that knows what they are doing, ie not in Roanoke). Then its bigger turbo, injectors, fuel pump and front mount. I've done the up/tbe and a bunch of suspension & brake upgrades, no turbo or other engine stuff.

Several modded Subarus around the Roanoke region and people that work on them regularly, we just don't run our mouths as much as other car owners. lol

If you're in the area stop by at one of the meets - forum.flat4va.com.

~Eddie
Old 12-14-2009, 08:52 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by JROW
Just drive that unit.

I wouldn't spend much time/money on that car w/ that many miles, especially if its a dd anyway.

Just my .02

Chris

*BTW-That wasn't directed to the above posts.There are hardly any,if any at all,extensively modded Subarus around here.The above forum has so many knowledgable people,that it'd be a shame to be asking around on here for advice instead.

Any more lol.

Originally Posted by 05GrayWRX
NASIOC will net you better advice. Typical route is up pipe & turbo back with a tune (Cobb off the shelf stuff isn't that great, get a custom tune from somone that knows what they are doing, ie not in Roanoke). Then its bigger turbo, injectors, fuel pump and front mount. I've done the up/tbe and a bunch of suspension & brake upgrades, no turbo or other engine stuff.

Several modded Subarus around the Roanoke region and people that work on them regularly, we just don't run our mouths as much as other car owners. lol

If you're in the area stop by at one of the meets - forum.flat4va.com.

~Eddie

Damn, I was unaware of that group existing.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

VIR EURORALLY has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by callmecobra96
Hey everybody, its been a long time since I've posted here, I moved out of va a few years ago. But anyways, I'm going to be spending some time in roanoke this winter. I just bought my step dads 03 wrx to use as a dd. Its my first import, I'm totally in the dark about subaru's. I figure ill just start out with basic mods, but I'm looking for any wrx specific info anyone could provide. What are the 2.0l engines capable of? The engine has 165,000 miles on the clock. Is it even worth modification? How long do these things last? Thanks for any help.
Um....welcome back?!?! Is this WRX an 4EAT(auto) or 5MT(manual)? There are a few 2.0L's making good usable power. With the 5MT and depending on how well this car has been treated those 165k miles, I would suggest staying around 300whp to avoid breaking the tranny. 2nd gear is pretty weak in that tranny. These are like many imports. They will last 300k with proper maintenance, I have several customers with mail/news cars on up there in mileage. I just sold a Forester in the spring of the year with 180k on it with only a test drive in the parking lot. Beyond that, there are a few 400whp+ 2.0L's out there.

Originally Posted by kidinatype_s
Well, I will tell you they are run kinda lean out of the box, so if you plan on doing more than a intake, then looking in to a tuner. Also I would not say it's to late as long as it was taking care of, but I'm sure some Subaru guys will chime in with some more info.
This was only a certain rare few that were demos in '04, they were to get reflashed before being sold. These were the factory freaks of '04. I have 1 of them and I know where 2 more sit. The '07's with there new 32bit ecu also had some lean issues that required a reflash as well. There were also some issues in the dynamic advance tables in tuning. The AEM and K&N Typhoon intakes are your best out of the box intakes that do not skew your MAF sensor outside of OEM specs.

Originally Posted by callmecobra96
When you say tuner do you mean something like I would have to get done on a dyno or a unit that comes with pre programmed tunes like what I have on my diesel truck?
The Cobb AccessPort as mentioned is a programmer just as you have mentioned. You also have the ability to have the car ProTuned by a certified ProTuner(such as our shop) to give you added power and fuel economy. As covered the Cobb OTS stuff is very rich and conservative.

Chris

Very few extensive modded members on here. We mostly lurk. As with all forums, there is a ton of useless stuff on them. In the Roanoke area, we do lay pretty low. I have a moddest amount of mods.

Originally Posted by Subie2Honda
There are all kinds of options for that vehicle, depending on what youre trying to accomplish. Cobb Tuning makes a fancy little tool called the Cobb AccessPort, which can accomplish alot by means of on-the-go tuning(por power, fuel economy, higer boost, etc). If you're going balls to the wall with a bigger turbo, larger injectors, a good exhaust, etc., etc.; then the TurboXS Utec might be for you. Also, theres a big gap in price: $600 roughly for the Cobb product and over $1000(in alot of cases) for the TuboXS product. However, I agree strongly with who made the nasioc comment; try checking out www.clubwrx.net and www.nasioc.com. Hope this helps.
There are plenty of happy UTEC users and some who trashed them long ago due to some conflicts and the use of MS-DOS for tuning. In my opinion, the best options are Cobb, Hydra, and AEM (not listed in order of preference). The Cobb is $695. The others do reach $1200+.
ClubWRX will not you little help in this area. There is just not a huge VA base on there.

Originally Posted by JROW
Just drive that unit.

I wouldn't spend much time/money on that car w/ that many miles, especially if its a dd anyway.

Just my .02
For a DD and the risk of wrecks and stuff, I somewhat agree. Look at all of the owners of other makes on here with cars 150K+ in miles that mod (repair) them continuously.

Originally Posted by STi_FTMFW
I'm not sure I'd want to mod it with that many miles...

NASIOC does have a lot of good info there, but the community isn't really that great, lots of flaming, kids who think the WRX/STi is gods gift to the automotive world, shit like that.

First mods that will net the most power... downpipe, uppipe, reflash the ECU (COBB Accessport is the most popular, but there are others like UTEC). You should not run with an aftermarket DP without some sort of reflash though.
Subaru is far from the king of cars. Even the Bugatti Veyron got beat on a circuit test on Top Gear by a Zonda. It's how the car is built and setup for its particular use. If you want to drag race it.....you can, we have a 700whp+ on break in tuning. This is a fabricators car with our tuner doing the tuning. Yet, it makes as much sense as rallying your Cobra.

There are a few shops in NOVA/MD that I would take my business to, having our own shop, I would still trust these guys to work on my car should the inevitable happen at the shop.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Well, I will tell you they are run kinda lean out of the box, so if you plan on doing more than a intake, then looking in to a tuner. Also I would not say it's to late as long as it was taking care of, but I'm sure some Subaru guys will chime in with some more info.
That's incorrect. They run pretty rich from the factory. Do NOT put an intake on it. There are a lot of bad intake designs out there and they can make it run dangerously lean.

The downpipe is where power in a WRX is made. You can change the downpipe without doing any other mods. On the STi you need to change the engine management because the stock turbo is notorious for boost creep aftet you change the downpipe, but on a standard WRX it's fine. On a fresh engine, that is good for 15-20 hp usually. That should be your first mod. An uppipe and engine management would be after that. A cat back will do very little, as the stock Subaru exhaust is remarkably free-flowing.

As far as engine management goes UTEC>reflash by a long shot. I haven't used Cobb's tuning system, but all the cars that I've seen that had a reflash didn't run well.

Last edited by Cosmo; 12-14-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

What reflash did they have, OpenSource? Our ecu's are learned systems. Once you tune the car, you drive it as you would want the car to learn the power. Over time, with being easy on the car, before you really run it, you would be best to reflash the map to reset any parameters that may have been lowered due to conservative driving.

I'm not endorsing weekend qualifying laps on WIlliamson Road.

If you do go with the UTEC, there are tuners who will tune it in NOVA, but why would you when TXS is in Gaithersburg,MD and they tune in house? My point is you would have the car tuned where the UTEC is made and designed, those guys will knwo it better than anyone else.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VIR EURORALLY
What reflash did they have, OpenSource? Our ecu's are learned systems. Once you tune the car, you drive it as you would want the car to learn the power. Over time, with being easy on the car, before you really run it, you would be best to reflash the map to reset any parameters that may have been lowered due to conservative driving.

I'm not endorsing weekend qualifying laps on WIlliamson Road.

If you do go with the UTEC, there are tuners who will tune it in NOVA, but why would you when TXS is in Gaithersburg,MD and they tune in house? My point is you would have the car tuned where the UTEC is made and designed, those guys will knwo it better than anyone else.
It was the Cobb reflash where you take your ECU out and send it to them. When I got out of Subarus, Cobb was just coming out with their personal tuner.

I have tuned probably 25-30 UTEC's in my day.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

kidinatype_s has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Cosmo
That's incorrect. They run pretty rich from the factory. Do NOT put an intake on it. There are a lot of bad intake designs out there and they can make it run dangerously lean.

The downpipe is where power in a WRX is made. You can change the downpipe without doing any other mods. On the STi you need to change the engine management because the stock turbo is notorious for boost creep aftet you change the downpipe, but on a standard WRX it's fine. On a fresh engine, that is good for 15-20 hp usually. That should be your first mod. An uppipe and engine management would be after that. A cat back will do very little, as the stock Subaru exhaust is remarkably free-flowing.

As far as engine management goes UTEC>reflash by a long shot. I haven't used Cobb's tuning system, but all the cars that I've seen that had a reflash didn't run well.
Not always, as (VIR) has said, but any car with more than a intake, and a cat-back in my opinion, should have some type of engine management.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Not always, as (VIR) has said, but any car with more than a intake, and a cat-back in my opinion, should have some type of engine management.
Intakes on WRX's are bad news. I have seen more than a handful of perfectly good engines ruined by an intake. Cat-backs on a WRX make no difference other than more noise.

Subarus don't work the same as most cars...
Old 12-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

As I stated earlier, the K&N Typhoon and the AEM intakes are the only 2 on the market that will not skew the MAF readings on a WRX/STi with the stock ecu flash. Now if this intake you have seen was an Injen,Spt, or any other brand, it would create a lean condition in the upper RPM's on boost.

The issue of overboosting on the STi is not created by installing a downpipe. The issues is created by a internal wastegate that a touch too small and during spool up, the wastegate cannot dump the air fast enough. The downpipe (in most cases divided or bellmouthed, whereas the stock downpipe is blocked off) when installed contributes to this condition because the backpressure is now significantly less.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

kidinatype_s has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Cosmo
Intakes on WRX's are bad news. I have seen more than a handful of perfectly good engines ruined by an intake. Cat-backs on a WRX make no difference other than more noise.

Subarus don't work the same as most cars...
I said any CAR??? not necessarily Subaru's ..... Also that it was my personal opinion, not saying you can't run them and be ok with bolt on's, but I would not do so without some type of engine management.

Quick Reply: subaru questions