Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Tanglewood Mall

Old 02-14-2008, 05:24 AM
wub wub wub wub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Tanglewood Mall

Is it depressing to anyone else to see something like that go down the drain almost all the way? I just think about when I was really young I'd go there with my mom and sister and there were all these different places to eat, and of course the arcade that moved locations a few times but was still always there... I've been in there a few times recently and it's a ghost town. Don't get me wrong, I hate being in any mall when it's crowded, but for it to be that much of a ghost town, it's probably just a matter of time before they all throw in the towel and close down. I'm sure JCP and Belk still do decent business, but everything else looks like it's hanging on for dear life.

Anyway, am I the only one that misses the way things used to be back in the day? Not just with the mall, but with everything. I heard the WalMart on 220 is going to be closing down in the relatively near future becuse they're building another Super Walmart a little ways down the road. That's going to suck too! I don't want any more Super Walmart's. It seems like every time I go to one of the big Walmart stores, it is apparently the same day everyone gets their WIC cards and food stamps.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:36 AM
Broke

QwkCoupe has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tanglewood Mall

Need a shoulder to cry on?
Old 02-14-2008, 05:39 AM
Registered Member

SpoolnSRT4 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
It seems like every time I go to one of the big Walmart stores, it is apparently the same day everyone gets their WIC cards and food stamps.
It is sad to see that mall go the owners need to figure out a better way to Market the mall and attract more customers back and better stores ...

As for the Food Stamps don't go at the first of the month that's how I avoid that crap. Doesn't it piss you off they are getting those stamps cause they need help (I'm all for that if they Realllly need it) but look at some of the junk they buy 2-3 carts at a time of JUNK food. Seriously they should put more restrictions on what they can buy food wise as well why waste money on Junk food when you should been feeding your family in need a well rounded meal.

Last edited by SpoolnSRT4; 02-14-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:59 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by QwkCoupe
Need a shoulder to cry on?
Hold me.

Seriously though, you don't think it's at all sad to see the world change over the years? It would be different if it were changing for the better, but it's not. I miss being a young kid with no worries or concerns other than what the weather was like outside... I miss the innocence, and I miss being impressed by the silliest little things. It didn't take much to make me happy as a kid! Heh
Old 02-14-2008, 06:01 AM
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by SpoolnSRT4
As for the Food Stamps don't go at the first of the month that's how I avoid that crap. Doesn't it piss you off they are getting those stamps cause they need help (I'm all for that if they Realllly need it) but look at some of the junk they buy 2-3 carts at a time of JUNK food. Seriously they should put more restrictions on what they can buy food wise as well why waste money on Junk food when you should been feeding your family in need a well rounded meal.
I'm not sure if it was on DragVA or not... this may have been something I read on another forum, but I recently read someones post about being behind someone in line at a supermarket and the person was using a WIC card... Well, she was buying multiple dungeonous crabs with a fucking WIC card! You don't need "gourmet seafood" on the tax payers dime!
Old 02-14-2008, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

There is one reason and one reason only that that mall is falling apart - management.

When we opened our store we looked at opening it at the mall. They had many empty stores (even more than they do now) so we figured they'd be happy to get people in there. For a store that was about 1000 sq. feet, it was $3000 a month. I can only imagine what AC Moore and Stein Mart and stores like that pay.

Just for comparison, here in Salem we have about 1600 square feet and pay $775 a month.

However, what I think is more sad is that there is going to be no undeveloped land in the area in the next 5-10 years. Every empty plot of land they put up some office building...

Last edited by Cosmo; 02-14-2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Broke

Originally Posted by SpoolnSRT4
It is sad to see that mall go the owners need to figure out a better way to Market the mall and attract more customers back and better stores ...

Its pisses me off that my tax dollars fund that BS... Most of those that "need help" drive to the store in a fucking Hummer H2 on 24's. Get free food from government aid. Drive back to their income based housing also paid for by the government. Refuse to get a job because its just to easy. I say let'um buy junk food and some bleach to drink. That way they'll quit being a strain on society. Hard work and ambition is being replaced with laziness and government aid.

PS: Dont really care about tanglewood mall, always thought it was a shitty place

Last edited by QwkCoupe; 02-14-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:13 AM
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by Cosmo
There is one reason and one reason only that that mall is falling apart - management.

When we opened our store we looked at opening it at the mall. They had many empty stores (even more than they do now) so we figured they'd be happy to get people in there. For a store that was about 1000 sq. feet, it was $3000 a month. I can only imagine what AC Moore and Stein Mart and stores like that pay.

Just for comparison, here in Salem we have about 1600 square feet and pay $775 a month.

However, what I think is more sad is that there is going to be no undeveloped land in the area in the next 5-10 years. Every empty plot of land they put up some office building...
Couldn't agree more. It's a shame.

What ever happened with the big plot of land they were developing across from Tanglewood to the right of 220 heading towards WalMart from Tanglewood? Supposedly there was a big strip mall that was going to be built up there on the hill but what I heard is that the owners of Tanglewood Mall were putting them through the legal ringers because of it. I don't see how they really could, but whatever. I just wish they would build something new and exciting for Roanoke instead of the same garbage over and over. We have CVS stores, we have plenty of banks, we have Home Depot, we have Lowes, etc. They are everywhere! Build something new. I'd like to bring something new to Roanoke myself.

Personally, although I don't like Red Lobster at all, I think that would be a wise business move to bring another Red Lobster into Roanoke. I've never passed by the one on Franklin Road and seen an empty lot if they were open. In fact, there are usually people outside waiting to be seated. If I were going into business right here and now, that's something I would consider. I always said we needed to have a White Castle or Krystal Burger in Roanoke, but Krystal doesn't look like it's done so well here. I doubt they'll build another one unless it's just in a prime area with lots of traffic. The tip of Salem wasn't a good spot for them IMO. Anyway, I just want to see something new, fresh, and exciting. Something we don't already have here!

Since I'm getting all nostalgic today, does anyone remember that big red rocking chair that sat across from Tanglewood? lol.. What is that now, a freaking rental car place?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:16 AM
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by QwkCoupe
Its pisses me off that my tax dollars fund that BS... Most of those that "need help" drive to the store in a fucking Hummer H2 on 24's. Get free food from goverment aid. Drive back to their income based housing also paid for by the goverment. Refuse to get a job because its just to easy. I say let'um buy junk food and some bleach to drink. That way they'll quit being a strain on society. Hard work and ambition is being replaced with laziness and goverment aid.
Unfortunately, you're absolutely right. The worst part is that the people who actually NEED the help often times either have trouble getting it, or can't get it at all because of the technicalities... meanwhile the people who are just taking advantage of the system are living the best life they could imagine living. Like you said, government assistance with virtually everything, and some of them that do work are working under the table so they're probably making more money than those of us who do make an honest effort to get by with a real job.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Broke

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
Hold me.
YaY! a/s/lz

Quick Reply: Tanglewood Mall