Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Is there a black turbo Cobra in Roanoke?

Old 11-28-2006, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRCE PWR has disabled reputation
Default Re: Is there a black turbo Cobra in Roanoke?

Originally Posted by rotorsownyou7
Really? I haven't researched a lot about the 4v's. I just know they are much more expensive when you start doing this kind of thing. I might start small and do a turbo 5.0 with low boost. Any reason not to? I know the blocks are weak... But I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money until maybe later.

When you get down to it, the 4v isn't more expensive to build. Mostly because you start out with a block you can use, and Steel crank. On my 96 Cobra, I replaced the rods and pistons, of course ARP head and main studs and put plenty of boost to it. Used the stock heads, cams and intake. That car made 632 RWHP.

On the other hand, with the 5.0, to have an equally strong bottom end, you would need a full rotating assembly (Crank, rods, pistons) Still need ARP head and main studs, Aftermarket cam, heads, intake, rolloer rockers, pushrods, etc. We haven't even got into the fact that you need an R302 block which last time I checked costs about $1700--Unmachined!! You get the picture.

On my 1990 LX 5.0, Im cracked the block on 12 psi from a Vortech T-trim, and I lost count of how many head gaskets it puked. On the 96 Cobra with 19 psi non-intercooled boost from a T-trim and a little bit of nitrous, I never blew it up.

Steve
Old 11-28-2006, 06:24 AM
Banned

STAY TUNED STAY TUNED STAY TUNED STAY TUNED STAY TUNED STAY TUNED STAY TUNED STAY TUNED STAY TUNED STAY TUNED STAY TUNED

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
Why the '96-'98's never get love We're not that bad.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:03 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by FRCE PWR
We haven't even got into the fact that you need an R302 block which last time I checked costs about $1700--Unmachined!! You get the picture.
Why exactly do you need a R block? How much horsepower are you trying to hold?
Old 11-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Broke

QwkCoupe has disabled reputation

When you get down to it, the 4v isn't more expensive to build. Mostly because you start out with a block you can use, and Steel crank. On my 96 Cobra, I replaced the rods and pistons, of course ARP head and main studs and put plenty of boost to it. Used the stock heads, cams and intake. That car made 632 RWHP.

On the other hand, with the 5.0, to have an equally strong bottom end, you would need a full rotating assembly (Crank, rods, pistons) Still need ARP head and main studs, Aftermarket cam, heads, intake, rolloer rockers, pushrods, etc. We haven't even got into the fact that you need an R302 block which last time I checked costs about $1700--Unmachined!! You get the picture.

On my 1990 LX 5.0, Im cracked the block on 12 psi from a Vortech T-trim, and I lost count of how many head gaskets it puked. On the 96 Cobra with 19 psi non-intercooled boost from a T-trim and a little bit of nitrous, I never blew it up.

Steve
Did the block crack in the lifter galley? What RPM were you turning when it came apart? From everything I've seen RPM is what tends to split 5.0 blocks, I've seen 20+ lbs on stock block 5.0s on the downside of 57-5800rpm. We've bombed a 250 shot on a stock 5.0 a few times and its still running.

I guess cost wise they may be neck and neck to build if you had to buy a boss or Rblock. But I'd take a stock 351W block build a 393 stroker for about a grand, run a lightning EFI intake and you could throw just about anything at it. For probably 1/3 the cost of building a 4V modular.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Famous...

rotorsownyou7 has disabled reputation

Keep throwing this info out. I want to hear more about it!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

Have I missed something? When the hell did you have an fd?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:20 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by QwkCoupe
I guess cost wise they may be neck and neck to build if you had to buy a boss or Rblock. But I'd take a stock 351W block build a 393 stroker for about a grand, run a lightning EFI intake and you could throw just about anything at it. For probably 1/3 the cost of building a 4V modular.
Exactly. Building a powerful, strong 4V is one of the most expensive motors you can for a Ford. The SC and turbo's cost more, cams are MUCH more expensive, the motors are more difficult to work on. A built 351 is the way to go for a Foxbody, even a 460 is you want to mess around with some fab work and have the extra cash. I'd just rather have a 4V in the SN95 and New Edge Stangs.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Slowbra Driver

D1g1tal V3n0m is an unknown quantity at this point

Go with the Modular. For what you're wanting to do the modular is a better buy. Pick up a 96-98 Cobra motor. Build your own turbo kit (There's plenty of info on it now). I was going to build a TT kit for the 5.0 but instead went with my 150 NX kit I bought from Steve haha. Building a kit ins't as bad as one might think if you have the resources. 96-98 Cobras' are commonly making around 430-460 rwhp with basic bolt ons and a Vortech S Trim @ 8#.

If you really want to go wild do a 4v 5.4 with a T-76. That's a project close to Steve's heart.

The big blocks are nice and can make great power but the thing I just love the modulars myself.

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
And I've got plenty of 1000 yard flat stretches if anyone wants to come down and do some shooting. I've done 500 yards with my .308 and .30-06, never tried a 1000.
Where do you live at?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

FRCE PWR has disabled reputation

QwkCoupe,
Mine cracked through the middle. I was turning it 5750 RPM's, via the MSD. I like the 351 idea, and at one time had planned on doing that. You can get your rotating assembly and intake, however you are leaving out several other things to go with it. You still need a set of heads, cam, roller rockers, pushrods, roller lifters (which are stupid expensive on the 351 last time I checked), different exhaust, and I think maybe a different distributor??? I seriously don't think it will only be 1/3 of the cost.

You can take a 4v and simply replace the rods and pistons. You don't NEED to work the heads, don't need to change cams, of course either one of them will need ARP studs. On my 2004 Cobra, I rebuilt the motor using forged internals for about $1900. That price includes machine work, studs, gaskets, rings, and complete longblock assembly. I pulled the motor myself to save costs.

MAD DOHC,
Personally, If i am building either one of the 2, It better hold 600-700 to the wheels. That is why you will need the r302 block. I think it would be crazy to spend the $ machining a stock block and fitting a stroker crank into it just to be worried about it splitting.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:13 AM
He's like the wind

On my 2004 Cobra, I rebuilt the motor using forged internals for about $1900. That price includes machine work, studs, gaskets, rings, and complete longblock assembly. I pulled the motor myself to save costs.

MAD DOHC,
Personally, If i am building either one of the 2, It better hold 600-700 to the wheels. That is why you will need the r302 block. I think it would be crazy to spend the $ machining a stock block and fitting a stroker crank into it just to be worried about it splitting.
So you rebuilt a forged motor with forged internals? Thats a smart choice, no need to downsize something that is already top of the line.

Plenty of stock 5.0 blocks have held 600hp without cracking. I'm not arguing that the R block would be better to use, just excessive.

Last edited by MAD_DOHC; 11-28-2006 at 11:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Is there a black turbo Cobra in Roanoke?