Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Is there a black turbo Cobra in Roanoke?

Old 11-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Famous...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rotorsownyou7 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Is there a black turbo Cobra in Roanoke?

Originally Posted by cootees
Have I missed something? When the hell did you have an fd?
First car I actually liked. I had a couple cars, then a truck, then bought a FD when I turned 17.

Back to mustangs. Aren't 351's hard to find? They didn't make a lot of them did they? Modular motors are really expensive. Maybe I can find a blown 96-98 or something...
Old 11-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Famous...

rotorsownyou7 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by D1g1tal V3n0m
If you really want to go wild do a 4v 5.4 with a T-76. That's a project close to Steve's heart.
I'd just like to do something small for now until I get used to it, then go crazier. Like just keep the motor stock and slap a turbo on it, tune it, make like 400 whp. I don't need 600-700 like steve.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

FRCE PWR has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
So you rebuilt a forged motor with forged internals? Thats a smart choice, no need to downsize something that is already top of the line.

Plenty of stock 5.0 blocks have held 600hp without cracking. I'm not arguing that the R block would be better to use, just excessive.

Yes, I rebuilt a motor that came with forged internals. The reason I did this was because I hurt the pistons in the first one. So yes, I thought rebuilding it was a great choice. The stock 03/04 4V's are pretty good, but are not top of the line. I went back with CP pistons.

Steve
Old 11-28-2006, 11:50 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by rotorsownyou7
Back to mustangs. Aren't 351's hard to find? They didn't make a lot of them did they? Modular motors are really expensive. Maybe I can find a blown 96-98 or something...
351W's are easy to find, 351C are a different story and 4V 351C make my pee-pee hard and are very hard to find.

You can get complete mod 4V's pretty cheap off eBay or Corral or SVTPerformance. That would be your cheapest route. Buy this book, read it, love it, then read it again:

'How to Build Max-Performance 4.6-Liter Ford Engines' by Sean Hyland

Very informative, you'll learn a lot.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Broke

QwkCoupe has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by FRCE PWR
QwkCoupe,
Mine cracked through the middle. I was turning it 5750 RPM's, via the MSD. I like the 351 idea, and at one time had planned on doing that. You can get your rotating assembly and intake, however you are leaving out several other things to go with it. You still need a set of heads, cam, roller rockers, pushrods, roller lifters (which are stupid expensive on the 351 last time I checked), different exhaust, and I think maybe a different distributor??? I seriously don't think it will only be 1/3 of the cost.
Wouldnt be that expensive, pick up a 5.8 out of a mid 80's crown vic. The distributor will work fine, already have your double sump pan. Head choice really depends on what your going to do with it. GT40s are going about $250-350 a set (assuming you dont already have aftermarket heads to use off your
5.0). Turbo/blower application older model 351W open chamber heads most of the time you can find them free. You dont need expensive valve train if you run a hydrualic cam. If you convert it to roller you have to get those $350 conversion lifters and different length pushrods. You can run shorty headers and modify the h-pipe . Correct me if Im wrong but just a forged 2V shortblock is over 3G.

Last edited by QwkCoupe; 11-28-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Broke

QwkCoupe has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
351W's are easy to find, 351C are a different story and 4V 351C make my pee-pee hard and are very hard to find.
Im building a Clevor right now, a 351W with 351C heads. Only I've got a set of Factory 69 302 BOSS heads (rare shit) which are 351C 4V heads with a 2.23 intake valve instead of the 2.19 on the 351C. The problem with the 351C is the oiling system in the block. Not sure how its gonna work out. I'll try and post some pics up once it starts going together.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

FRCE PWR has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by QwkCoupe
Wouldnt be that expensive, pick up a 5.8 out of a mid 80's crown vic. The distributor will work fine, already have your double sump pan. Head choice really depends on what your going to do with it. GT40s are going about $250-350 a set (assuming you dont already have aftermarket heads to use off your
5.0). Turbo/blower application older model 351W open chamber heads most of the time you can find them free. You dont need expensive valve train if you run a hydrualic cam. If you convert it to roller you have to get those $350 conversion lifters and different length pushrods. You can run shorty headers and modify the h-pipe . Correct me if Im wrong but just a forged 2V shortblock is over 3G.
I'm not sure of the cost on the 2V, if you went that route, you would need to purchase more. I am discussing the 4V, which comes with a steel crank. That alone would save some $.

I'm not trying to drag this out, I'm sure you can find a way to build the 351, but of course cutting costs, you will forfeit stregnth.

I guess it boils down to a matter of choice.

Steve

Last edited by FRCE PWR; 11-28-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by QwkCoupe
I've got one.

351W EFI > modular
pics?specs?
chris
Old 11-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by FRCE PWR

On my 1990 LX 5.0, Im cracked the block on 12 psi from a Vortech T-trim, and I lost count of how many head gaskets it puked.
Steve
i remember one night at JP's it going through about three...i think you were supposed to run somebody,and it blew one on the way to the race?
"okay,it's done.take it up the road"........."okay i'm back,it just blew the new head gasket"

that was an awesome car though

chris
Old 11-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

K20_hisatch K20_hisatch K20_hisatch K20_hisatch K20_hisatch K20_hisatch K20_hisatch K20_hisatch K20_hisatch K20_hisatch K20_hisatch

First- the name of this thread needs to be changed to how to build a turbo mustang- Second- I saw that Bosston car about 3 years ago and thats the only time I saw it but BAD ASS, Steve ive heard this story-alway ran 9 psi on that car but race time came it was time for 12 psi and head gaskets didnt like it, might be misinformed on that one but sounds about what would happen.

Last edited by K20_hisatch; 11-28-2006 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Is there a black turbo Cobra in Roanoke?