Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Are turbo Honda's really all they're cracked up to be?

Old 06-14-2005, 07:18 PM
wub wub wub wub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Are turbo Honda's really all they're cracked up to be?

No.

I found out tonight that they're not.

There was a distance of several car lengths between a turbo EP hatchback and myself from a relatively slow (we took off somewhere between 45-55mph) roll on the freeway tonight. It sounded like he was going to reel me in since it revs so high and I'm shifting and he's still in the same gear.. but I kept going and going and going, and I have to admit that I was very surprised. I'm quite sure that he was too.

After losing he hung way back and exited the freeway quickly. Wish I could have talked to him. The previous owner was a friend of mine. You all know the car! Gold/yellow EP hatch!?!

I know I'm being a dick about it. I just wanted to proclaim victory publically since the previous owner would never race me. I do have to say that it sounds pretty wicked though! End of my gloating. It's definitely nowhere near the previously claimed 300hp that I recall someone saying; Case in point.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:20 PM
89silude

94silude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are turbo Honda's really all they're cracked up to be?

hahaha, yeah, if mike was driving you would have lost...

well, i have no idea. just talking outta my @$$ like always.

i see that old guy pimping that civic around everywhere. looks like a mid-life crisis to me...
Old 06-14-2005, 07:20 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Disclaimer: Yes, I know it's not at its peak tune and that there are plenty of turbo Honda's out there that would wipe my face in the dirt with my current setup.. All I'm saying is that this particular k20 turbo setup is overrated by far.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:23 PM
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by 89silude
hahaha, yeah, if mike was driving you would have lost...

i see that old guy pimping that civic around everywhere. looks like a mid-life crisis to me...

Old guy? It belongs to Michael's girlfriends brother.. and there's not much that Michael could have done differently if he were driving it. He mashed the pedal to the floor and ran the motor to 25,000 rpms or so it seemed. He would have never raced me, by the way. I always wondered why.. but now I know

We're not talking about a half a car loss, or a fender loss... we're talking at least a car and a half to two cars, and with a car that's that loud when you're on it, there's no question about whether or not he gave up halfway through or if he wasn't on it or whatever.... he was definitely on it.

If you're on here, good run.... I'd like some more please.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:25 PM
89silude

94silude is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work

Old guy? It belongs to Michael's girlfriends brother.. and there's not much that Michael could have done differently if he were driving it. He mashed the pedal to the floor and ran the motor to 25,000 rpms or so it seemed.

Originally Posted by 89silude
Old 06-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

00CivicGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

honestly just bolting on a turbo to a honda IMO doesnt produce the numbers that some people say.
but i dont think that hatch was pushing close to 300..it could have been at one time i guess, but thats a doubt in my mind
Old 06-14-2005, 07:44 PM
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by 00CivicGirl
honestly just bolting on a turbo to a honda IMO doesnt produce the numbers that some people say.
but i dont think that hatch was pushing close to 300..it could have been at one time i guess, but thats a doubt in my mind
No.. It never was. I used to hear rumors all the time. Nothing has changed since the original owner put the turbo kit on and now that the new owner has the car, as far as performance.

Again.. I was good friends with the kid who owned it.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

00CivicGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

yea i knew mike some..did he ever run it and get a time on it?
Old 06-14-2005, 08:03 PM
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by 00CivicGirl
yea i knew mike some..did he ever run it and get a time on it?
Not that I'm aware of. I think it's a 14 second car in perfect weather on a good track.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

gonzoe00 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
No.

I found out tonight that they're not.

There was a distance of several car lengths between a turbo EP hatchback and myself from a relatively slow (we took off somewhere between 45-55mph) roll on the freeway tonight. It sounded like he was going to reel me in since it revs so high and I'm shifting and he's still in the same gear.. but I kept going and going and going, and I have to admit that I was very surprised. I'm quite sure that he was too.

After losing he hung way back and exited the freeway quickly. Wish I could have talked to him. The previous owner was a friend of mine. You all know the car! Gold/yellow EP hatch!?!

I know I'm being a dick about it. I just wanted to proclaim victory publically since the previous owner would never race me. I do have to say that it sounds pretty wicked though! End of my gloating. It's definitely nowhere near the previously claimed 300hp that I recall someone saying; Case in point.

Lord you spoke you mind. Lord people are going to strike down apon you now.

Quick Reply: Are turbo Honda's really all they're cracked up to be?