Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Turbo lood having problems already.. :(

Old 06-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of
Default Turbo lood having problems already.. :(

Well I am already having problems.. After Saturday I noticed it was ticking pretty loudly, increasing with engine speed and pretty audible, kinda loud with the hood open. It is a tick/click, and it seems to run fine but its freakin me out.. I don't think it a rod bearing but just trying to get idea's here..

Figures.. I try to do everything right and some shit happens I don't think it is cracked ringlands, as it would probably be running like shit, and not sure if it would make this noise, but it could be piston slap b/c of this or something.. I dunno, argh.

I am hoping it is something simple like a pinhole exhaust leak or somethin or valves WAY outta spec..
Old 06-06-2005, 10:49 AM
.!.. Evo's ;)

KnowForever has disabled reputation
Default Re: Turbo lood having problems already.. :(

Originally Posted by GaRn
Well I am already having problems.. After Saturday I noticed it was ticking pretty loudly, increasing with engine speed and pretty audible, kinda loud with the hood open. It is a tick/click, and it seems to run fine but its freakin me out.. I don't think it a rod bearing but just trying to get idea's here..

Figures.. I try to do everything right and some shit happens I don't think it is cracked ringlands, as it would probably be running like shit, and not sure if it would make this noise, but it could be piston slap b/c of this or something.. I dunno, argh.

I am hoping it is something simple like a pinhole exhaust leak or somethin or valves WAY outta spec..
when was the last time you did a valve adjustment?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge

He's got an H22 motor, and I BELIEVE they have hydraulic valves (not adjusted very easily). Could be valve tap, bent valve, could be spun rod bearing, could be a number of things. Do a compression check and let us know the results.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DeadEvoVIII
when was the last time you did a valve adjustment?
n3vAr! I am going by advance to get the feeler gauges today, along with a compression tester..

I have an H23 non-vtec, so far this is some stuff I am thinkin it COULD be..

-skipped a tooth or more on timing belt
-main bearing
-rod bearing
-broken valvespring
-in DIRE need of a valve adjustment lol
-pinhole turbo manifold leak(burned my hand trying to find one #@!$)

I don't think its an exhaust leak, to metallic sounding, but then again I have heard of exhaust leaks sounding like this.. Not real positive its a rod bearing b/c I pulled plug wires one at a time and the sound continued, but I did not pull plugs..

If its phucked I am not sure what I am gonna do really, either h22 w/h23 head, or whatever I can find I guess, probably cheaper/faster than ripping the shit apart and polishing/replacing crank and possibly rod.. H23's main bearings usually go before rod bearings from what I have read though.

I do think I have some blowby as well though b/c when taking off the oil cap at idle quite a bit of pressure escapes :\
Old 06-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge

when turboing an n/a car, some blow-by is expected. I have a bit on my venge. Do the compression check to rule out bent valve. How old is the head? If it's that old, you might as well replace the valvetrain....fairly inexpensive. You could get all new springs, retainers, and valves for under $300 probably.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by boostedvenge
when turboing an n/a car, some blow-by is expected. I have a bit on my venge. Do the compression check to rule out bent valve. How old is the head? If it's that old, you might as well replace the valvetrain....fairly inexpensive. You could get all new springs, retainers, and valves for under $300 probably.
I am hoping for a broken valvespring..

107,000 on the engine..
Old 06-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

gonzoe00 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by GaRn
I am hoping for a broken valvespring..

107,000 on the engine..
Dang garen I did even get to drive it. Well better off so you have it built so when I drive It I will not break anything It might still end up broke then call me lol
Old 06-06-2005, 01:58 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

your car is telling you something.....
Old 06-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

gonzoe00 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by fc735
Why do I have the feeling this going to spark something
Old 06-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by fc735
yea, don't turbocharge NA engines

What can I say, I'm a rebel!

lol..

Quick Reply: Turbo lood having problems already.. :(