Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

VDOTs line paint + black vehicle=repaint?

Old 09-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
myclone has disabled reputation
Default VDOTs line paint + black vehicle=repaint?

Long story short I managed to COMPLETELY coat both sides of my dually with the paint that vdot uses for the white/yellow lines while driving across windy gap mtn yesterday. Already talked to the ins co (boy, they were happy ) and theyre sending an adjuster out but before I cough up the deductable has anyone successfully got vdot to cover any costs incurred from getting that crap on their vehicle? Id much rather let vdot cover the deductable but Im not getting my hopes up.

Long version...
Had to go to Burnt Chimney yesterday and a short cut to windy gap mt is Coopers cove rd. When I pulled out onto windy gap I didnt notice that the line paint was about 45 seconds old... no cones, no signs, no nothing. Needless to say I enjoy windy gaps winding road so Im hitting the curves fairly hard using ALL of the lane (read driving on wet paint a LOT) with still no clue that the paint is wet...until Im cooking around a nice left hander and bout hit the truck applying the paint in the ass. I clamp down on the brakes since I can see a huge cloud of paint coming off the back of the truck and slow down to a crawl to put some distance between me and the paint truck. It doesnt matter at this point since I rolled down my window and looked at the drivers side of the truck which is coated with yellow paint off the front tire. The paint truck quits applying the paint at the beginning of a straight piece of raod, pulls off, and the driver motions me by so I can go around. After passing the paint truck I make it about a mile when I run into vdot blocking traffic going the other way towards roanoke then it clicks that undoubtedly they had traffic blocked coming from roanoke before coopers cove where I turned onto windy gap. Needless to say Im just a little pissed off since the paint on my dually is only 3yrs old (stripped to bare metal then 4 coats of Sikkens base/clear). Would it have been too much damn trouble to put a vdot guy at the end of coopers cover or better yet how bout a few cones or maybe a sign or two saying "WET FUCKING PAINT...dont drive on the shit!".

Anyone know whos phone at the local vdot to ring about this who isnt a moron? Waste of time (<gets my vote)? You fucked up so deal with it?

Discuss please.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of
Default Re: VDOTs line paint + black vehicle=repaint?

any possible way that crap could come off?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GaRn
any possible way that crap could come off?
I dunno if it will come off or not...everything Ive tried on it so far it just laughed at it .

I dunno what material DOT is using now but back in the late 80s early 90s when I was in the body shop business some laquer thinner or mineral spirits would take the stuff off with some rubbing. This stuff Im dealing with now is like concrete so Im guessing its some type of epoxy rather than actual paint like it used to be so it isnt coming off at all.

Voice of experience here: Dont get this crap on your car.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:40 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

That sucks man..

You MIGHT be able to get them to cover your deductible, but I wouldn't count on it. I can almost guarantee you they will not pay for an entire paintjob, so consider yourself lucky if you manage to get a deductible out of them.

Best of luck, Boiler Room.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:10 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
That sucks man..

You MIGHT be able to get them to cover your deductible, but I wouldn't count on it. I can almost guarantee you they will not pay for an entire paintjob, so consider yourself lucky if you manage to get a deductible out of them.
I did some searching for about an hour on various sites for info on this situation (I know Im not the only shmuck to get line paint on their car) and came up with squatt. Im not holding my breath hoping to even get the right person on the phone from vdot to get told "sorry...sucks to be you" but Im still checking into it. My deductable isnt huge but Id rather not have to cough it up at this moment considering some other things Ive got to dump some cash into. The timing couldnt have been worse financially but then again its not a life threatening deal to drive a vehicle around that looks like Stevie Wonder painted it with a paint ball gun. Just pisses me off to no end...

Best of luck, Boiler Room.
LOL...never gonna let me live that down are ya?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Po' Pimp

99GTVert is an unknown quantity at this point

myclone,

I called the VDOT helpline @ 1-800-367-ROAD to ask about this type of situation, and after a considerable amount of wrangling and squirming by the operator, they gave me the following information:

1.) Call the local VDOT residency, since you mentioned Windy Gap(116) I assumed Roanoke Co. The local residency is the Salem office @ 540-387-5488

2.) Tell them you wish to file a claim regarding improperly blocking traffic/marking areas to be painted.

3.) Ask them to pay for all damages. (The operator was tiptoeing around this, but they want to know what you are seeking from them I'd go for the Nuts!!! Sounds like they will pay your deductible at the least, but then of course, who's gonna pay the differential in the premium?

Hope this helps. From someone who has both scrubbed fresh tar off of chrome rocker panels with a bucket of kerosene, and tried to get latex house paint off after hitting a wet roller on the interstate, I hope THEY take care of it!!!

Last edited by 99GTVert; 09-21-2006 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added phone #
Old 09-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 99GTVert
myclone,

I called the VDOT helpline @ 1-800-367-ROAD to ask about this type of situation, and after a considerable amount of wrangling and squirming by the operator, they gave me the following information:

1.) Call the local VDOT residency, since you mentioned Windy Gap(116) I assumed Roanoke Co. The local residency is the Salem office @ 540-387-5488

2.) Tell them you wish to file a claim regarding improperly blocking traffic/marking areas to be painted.

3.) Ask them to pay for all damages. (The operator was tiptoeing around this, but they want to know what you are seeking from them I'd go for the Nuts!!! Sounds like they will pay your deductible at the least, but then of course, who's gonna pay the differential in the premium?

Hope this helps. From someone who has both scrubbed fresh tar off of chrome rocker panels with a bucket of kerosene, and tried to get latex house paint off after hitting a wet roller on the interstate, I hope THEY take care of it!!!
99GTVert,

Thanks for the info...

FWIW so far I got hold of Salem VDOT and was informed by Cindy Mitchell that Richmond handles all of these issues. She informed me that VDOT requires a written statement of what happened be mailed to her so she can forward it to the right ppl in Richmond. Richmond will not accept a copy or fax it must be the original (dunno why).

So far thats what Ive done....typed up a summery of what happened and dropped it in the mail to her. When I asked about a time frame for contact from Richmond due to working with my insurance she said "they get in NO hurry so it will probably be weeks".

I do have to give Cindy from Salem props since she was actually very nice and helpful which suprised me as I was figuring I would get some knuckle head on the phone. I was nice and either she was in a good mood or was genuinely a nice person. Dunno but if you find yourself in a similar situation my suggestion would be play it cool even if youre ticked off since obviously Cindy has the authority to either forward your letter or let it sit on her desk for 6+ months. Get what Im sayin?

I'll let you guys know what happens when it happens should it happen to one of you at a later time.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

FWIW I got a letter from Richmond DOT basically telling me that there wasnt any negligence on their part so VDOT is in no way liable. Rest of the letter basically said that without hiring a lawyer to decipher the legalease written instructions on how to appeal the decision that as far as VA is concerned I can go take a flying leap.

Lets see....pay $4k for a lawyer to get $2k...yep that makes sense
Old 11-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

hi boost 21 psi has disabled reputation

well i dont know what the stuff is called but vdot does have something that takes it off i work at a body shop and i was talking to one of the guys from state farm and he said that he has some shops that have used it vdot told them what it was!!! my uncle works for vdot. ill try and get something out of him and ill hit you up later...
Old 11-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hi boost 21 psi
well i dont know what the stuff is called but vdot does have something that takes it off i work at a body shop and i was talking to one of the guys from state farm and he said that he has some shops that have used it vdot told them what it was!!! my uncle works for vdot. ill try and get something out of him and ill hit you up later...
Cool, thanks..

Quick Reply: VDOTs line paint + black vehicle=repaint?