Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Which Welder?

Old 10-31-2005, 09:15 AM
Custom User Title

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which Welder?

$100 more, get one that doesnt suck, dont be a cheap ass, you will regret it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBART-HANDLER-1...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-31-2005, 09:21 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

at this point, i am no longer offering advice on what welder is better, and i feel those of us that know what is good and bad should stop also, due to the fact that info being presented is being ignored.

you get what you pay for. period. crap that you get at harbor freight is just that, crap. so is that flux core shit.

drop the dough, make a few bucks on the side doing some welding on small shit for people if you gotta to pay for it.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:28 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fc735
at this point, i am no longer offering advice on what welder is better, and i feel those of us that know what is good and bad should stop also, due to the fact that info being presented is being ignored.

you get what you pay for. period. crap that you get at harbor freight is just that, crap. so is that flux core shit.

drop the dough, make a few bucks on the side doing some welding on small shit for people if you gotta to pay for it.
The one I am talking about is not a harbor freight welder. The only advice you offered was blabbing on about some $1800 welder, which has nothing to do with what I am asking, and saying a few the I have asked about were shit. What does that leave me to do besides try to find other welders? I can't spend $500 on a welder, so what welder for around $300 is decent? All I need is an entry level welder that is decent. I am still sticking with a Clarke welder for the money.

Last edited by GaRn; 10-31-2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:37 AM
Custom User Title

mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Shameless plug for the welder I have for sale, Miller blue=quality:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1
Old 10-31-2005, 09:57 AM
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

hey garn...check out cash convertors in willamson....saw a nice big campbell (i think thats right) for sale.....didnt see how much though
Old 10-31-2005, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Go down to Arcet on Plantation road. They have used welders from time to time, and the guys there are very knowledgable and helpful.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:40 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by GaRn
The one I am talking about is not a harbor freight welder. The only advice you offered was blabbing on about some $1800 welder, which has nothing to do with what I am asking, and saying a few the I have asked about were shit. What does that leave me to do besides try to find other welders? I can't spend $500 on a welder, so what welder for around $300 is decent? All I need is an entry level welder that is decent. I am still sticking with a Clarke welder for the money.

this isnt advice?

Originally Posted by fc735
main reason i say that, is cause of the way the lincolns are made. their boards are made in one piece, with the transformer mounted to the board also. i have seen three of them (1 110v and 2 220v ones) fail within a year of doing light fab work.

Miller>Lincoln

Hobarts are made by miller, as Adam said before, and for a less expensive unit, they are pretty damn good. the ones at Sears are made by Lincoln last i recall, and suck balls.

flux core wire sucks ass, get a small bottle and run CO2 for most shit (stargon works better for most metals, but for the cost difference, you will be better off with CO2) you can do aluminum MIG with the lincoln without buying anything seperate (the wire feed is increased like hell with it, but you dont have to get a spoolgun) but its still a rather shitty welder.

just get a Synchrowave 180SD. only 1800 bucks.

its your money. i would wait a few weeks or so to get something a little better myself, but to each their own i reckon.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Alright, on the way home from work today I said screw it and just bought a welder... went to Northern Tool in Salem and bought a clarke 130 w/cart/regulator/mask/etc..

cost me $420 but I don't have to wait for shipping and all that jazz.. guess I will buy a bottle when I get good enough to where it will actually make a difference visibly haha..

Old 11-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Moriar has disabled reputation

eh i dont like any of those welders, im an arc welder soo much better i dont have to worry about thickness i can weld thru 3 inches of plate with my welders

Miller Bobcat's ftw