Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Western Off Topic

Old 03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z
Default Re: Western Off Topic

I have had shannon at perfection do exhaust work for me also in the past. But, with this most recent job, I went with Joey (hateful mechanic on here). I had talked with perfection about the job, and what they wanted to do was simply overkill (flex pipes, stainless steel piping, etc) so they were going to charge a lot. Joey was willing to keep it simple, just like I wanted it, and I provided everything but the 3" piping, just like you are planning to do. No complaints so far, other than the broken tie-down bolt, which was out of his control and he helped me fix!

Originally Posted by Voodoo
Anyone know of a local exhaust shop that could weld/build a full 3 inch exhaust to go with what I already have (Kooks headers and high flow cats as well as the Magnaflow 12469 x-pipe muffler)??? I'd like to retain my current tips as well... Any and all recommendations are welcome...
Old 03-02-2011, 03:50 PM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

I will vouch for Shannon as well. He's done a ton of work for me since 1999 and has always done a great job.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

What are you wanting as far as do you want stainless or will mild be okay,do you want mandrel bends or is crush bent okay,and do you want TIG welding or is MIG okay?If you're okay with crush bends and MIG welds,there are plenty of places that can do that,Perfection being one of the best.If you want something really nice,I can do that(I'm not aware of anybody else in this area that offers TIG exhaust fabrication?),but for the price of stainless now and how much time it requires,you're better off buying something aftermarket.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Atlas is dead

Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo

Mandrel and mild should suffice... It will be pushing close to 600whp and i don't know whether the mild or stainless will matter all that much, and I have no clue about the welding (obviously im not an exhaust guru)... I just need something that will last for a long time and not rattle to all hell like my current set up...
Old 03-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by Voodoo
Mandrel and mild should suffice... It will be pushing close to 600whp and i don't know whether the mild or stainless will matter all that much, and I have no clue about the welding (obviously im not an exhaust guru)... I just need something that will last for a long time and not rattle to all hell like my current set up...
There's no performance advantage to stainless,it'll just last longer and it looks better.Same with TIG welding-it looks better.Nothing wrong with MIG welding it,as long as there aren't booger welds that penetrate into the piping.As long as you use mandrel bends and the person's a decent welder,it'll be fine performance-wise.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Atlas is dead

Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo

can you give me a ballpark figure for such work?? you can PM it if you want...
Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

Totally forgot you picked up a TIG there Christopher, I will DEF be calling on your assistance in the coming months. You figure out the alum. yet?
Old 03-03-2011, 03:30 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by BSeriesTurbo
Totally forgot you picked up a TIG there Christopher, I will DEF be calling on your assistance in the coming months. You figure out the alum. yet?
I'm still not totally comfortable with thinner aluminum.There's so little demand for it around here(plus,you don't want to be learning on customer jobs,LOL),and I've had no need for it,so I've done very little.It's probably been over a year since I last welded any of it.The stuff's expensive too,so it makes it hard to just buy a bunch strictly for the purpose of F'ing around with.I have a couple things coming up that I will be using aluminum on,so hopefully I'll get it straightened out.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:21 PM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

You know what's cool?

I'll tell you what isn't. Doing a ton of work to your car, finishing, and taking it down the road...

After forgetting to put your hood pins back in.

Dmax carbon hood: Smashed
Windshield: Smashed
Roof: Dented

Realizing that I should have stopped to eat today so I don't get out of it and forgetful...Ahh, I don't even want to say it.

Guess I'm gonna fix and lace paint the hood and roof. Fark it
Old 03-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

BallinthaEF BallinthaEF BallinthaEF

damn that sucks..

Quick Reply: Western Off Topic