Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Western Off Topic

Old 04-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude
Default Re: Western Off Topic

I just noticed that one side of my car sits lower than the other. Or at least, one corner. Of the front two coils, the driver's side sits 13/16s of an inch lower, even when the coils are the exact same length, i made sure of this prior to installing them, and i re-measured them while they were installed. I'm not sure what's up with that, but to remedy this, i just raised the driver's front coil up 13/16" and it evened out the front. The rear is the same problem, except it's the passenger rear that's lower than the other side. I have yet to take measurements of the difference, but it looked to be around 1/2".
Can anyone explain why my suspension is like this? It can't be stock. I just can't seem to figure out how it's happening either. Both pairs of coils were measured prior to installation, and were not altered after they were put it.........

bleh.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Originally Posted by 4CED-FED
gotcha...damn wrecked on hardy? wtf happened?

and I don't blame you, that'd drive me nuts too. So you gonna fix the wrecked one back up? Changing anything up, or putting it back how you had it? l <3 new school hoodrats.
I was racing. The skid marks are still there... Right passed the trailer park in the curve at the top of the next hill... :/

I'm fixin the wrecked one, yes. I'm redefining dope as we speak...

The correct term is "hoodride"

PS. I NEED SOME FAWKING SEATS! SOMEONE HOOK ME UP!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:29 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by pieisgude
I just noticed that one side of my car sits lower than the other. Or at least, one corner. Of the front two coils, the driver's side sits 13/16s of an inch lower, even when the coils are the exact same length, i made sure of this prior to installing them, and i re-measured them while they were installed. I'm not sure what's up with that, but to remedy this, i just raised the driver's front coil up 13/16" and it evened out the front. The rear is the same problem, except it's the passenger rear that's lower than the other side. I have yet to take measurements of the difference, but it looked to be around 1/2".
Can anyone explain why my suspension is like this? It can't be stock. I just can't seem to figure out how it's happening either. Both pairs of coils were measured prior to installation, and were not altered after they were put it.........

bleh.
There's so many variables from different load weights on different corners/slight variations in spring rates/fenders mounted slightly different from each other/bushing wear/deflection/surface the car's sitting on/etc.......You may never get each side to measure the same as the other.I've never had a car sit evenly side to side when I pre-adjsuted coilovers to be the same,it's just a good starting point.Even if you corner-weight the car,you'll probably still have a variance,and it may even be worse.
Best thing you can do if the looks are your main concern is just keep playing with the ride height until you get it as close as possible.Obviously,it's much harder if it's opposite corners that are higher/lower.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:38 AM
Registered Member

pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z

Originally Posted by TNGChris
There's so many variables from different load weights on different corners/slight variations in spring rates/fenders mounted slightly different from each other/bushing wear/deflection/surface the car's sitting on/etc.......You may never get each side to measure the same as the other.I've never had a car sit evenly side to side when I pre-adjsuted coilovers to be the same,it's just a good starting point.Even if you corner-weight the car,you'll probably still have a variance,and it may even be worse.
Best thing you can do if the looks are your main concern is just keep playing with the ride height until you get it as close as possible.Obviously,it's much harder if it's opposite corners that are higher/lower.
Wow, you just brought be back to my days of trying to precisely assemble and level 3 piece slate on pool tables... That job is not for a person with the attention to detail/A.D.D. that I have. Trying to level all three peices when each opposing corner on each piece are higher or lower is almost TORTURE!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:58 AM
Bewst!!!

4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED

Originally Posted by <3rust
I was racing. The skid marks are still there... Right passed the trailer park in the curve at the top of the next hill... :/

I'm fixin the wrecked one, yes. I'm redefining dope as we speak...

The correct term is "hoodride"

PS. I NEED SOME FAWKING SEATS! SOMEONE HOOK ME UP!
my apologies, I don't keep up with teh l33t lingo, so thats my bad lol. Ive heard em called all kinds of stuff. cant wait to see what you do with the wrecked one.

ouch, wrecked racing? What did you hit? Get in big troublez?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:00 AM
Bewst!!!

4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED

Originally Posted by pearl350z
Wow, you just brought be back to my days of trying to precisely assemble and level 3 piece slate on pool tables... That job is not for a person with the attention to detail/A.D.D. that I have. Trying to level all three peices when each opposing corner on each piece are higher or lower is almost TORTURE!
eff that noise! I'd be on the suicide watch list if I had to do that.

my A.T.D. has drove me half insane just trying to adjust my coilovers that I've had for 2 years, and yet I am still trying to adjust them.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:25 AM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

Originally Posted by pieisgude

bleh.
Chris is right, and another thing that can really affect it is the stock position of your control arm bushings. When you lower your car, you really want to set all the coils at an equal height, loosen the control arm bolts (that connect to the subframe/car) and then install the coilovers and tighten the bolts back up. If you don't do this then the bushings can bind and cause a lot of resistance when reaching the new angles, so it's important to loosen them and re-torque them and the new position so the control arm can function without binding up/destroying the bushing. That can definitely throw off the way it sits.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:24 AM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Originally Posted by 4CED-FED
my apologies, I don't keep up with teh l33t lingo, so thats my bad lol. Ive heard em called all kinds of stuff. cant wait to see what you do with the wrecked one.

ouch, wrecked racing? What did you hit? Get in big troublez?
Guard rail at about 90.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Bewst!!!

yahtzee!!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:48 PM
EDM|Mugen|MK3 CRX

.Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge.

Originally Posted by <3rust
Guard rail at about 90.
And I got your seats if nothing else comes up. (at least till you find something else.)
I gotta get rid of these things anyways.

Quick Reply: Western Off Topic