Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Western Off Topic

Old 08-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude
Default Re: Western Off Topic

Interesting piece of knowledge for the day. Michael Jordan's father drove a Garnet Pearl SC (same color as Spooln's). He was also shot to death in it.......
Old 08-27-2011, 11:00 AM
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pieisgude
Interesting piece of knowledge for the day. Michael Jordan's father drove a Garnet Pearl SC (same color as Spooln's). He was also shot to death in it.......
That's comforting...
Old 08-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude

Don't worry, in time yours will be too fast for the gang-bangers to get cha. His also wasn't wingless.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:03 PM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

Originally Posted by Spooln4
That's comforting...
Watch out.

Edit: if that didn't make any sense it was because forty.

Last edited by TongWoo; 08-29-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Well, i got a little carried away with my engineering homework and decided to get to work designing my exhaust. Hurray for free versions of Autodesk Inventor 2012!!! So, i guess i'll show ya'll what i was workin on. And since you guys know more than me about how an exhaust should be designed, i'd really appreciate some constructive criticism. I already don't like the way i made the tubes collect, my redesign will have them collecting angled towards the rear of the car, not just straight down. Oh, and none of the specs or measurements are correct to my actual car as of yet, i'm waiting on someone to email me a picture of their old exhaust manifold.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:37 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Well, i got a little carried away with my engineering homework and decided to get to work designing my exhaust. Hurray for free versions of Autodesk Inventor 2012!!! So, i guess i'll show ya'll what i was workin on. And since you guys know more than me about how an exhaust should be designed, i'd really appreciate some constructive criticism. I already don't like the way i made the tubes collect, my redesign will have them collecting angled towards the rear of the car, not just straight down. Oh, and none of the specs or measurements are correct to my actual car as of yet, i'm waiting on someone to email me a picture of their old exhaust manifold.

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/scew5l.jpg[/IG]
There are programs available from several places(Burns being one,I believe)specifically for designing headers.They do the math for you on resonant frequencies,flow characteristics,etc...That way you can make sure what you're building will actually be beneficial to your engine.
Three big things I see:
1-Why the upward bend right off the flange?The gas likes to have the straightest,longest shot possible right out of the port.Where you could have the tube come straight put,then turn about 90 degrees downward,you've got a 90 degree upward bend,then a 180 degree bend.There are some cases on turbo manifolds where I guess the added length this gives you allows for some tuning frequency advantage over the flow loss,but on an NA header you can tune the length of the primaries much more easily.
2-The angles before the collectors should be bends,not pie-cuts.
3-Kind of building on #2,the angles of the tubes going into the collector should be at the shallowest angle possible.You want the gasses to intersect each other at closest to the same angle as possible,and for the collector to have the longest area possible for them to merge.
If you started bringing the primaries closer together right after the downward bend it owuld help the secondary bend angle and collector angles....

Sorry,I'm sitting here bored,waiting to go to work
Old 08-31-2011, 04:15 AM
Registered Member

I appreciate it man. The reason for the upward, first 90 degree bend, is cause i saw it on some other car and it looks badass. Lol. I'm pretty sure the angles will all be better once i can get proper tubing measurements and flange measurements. My second design will have all the tubes after the 180 degrees will be swept backwards and merge closer to the firewall at smoother angles.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:21 AM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

flip those upside down, add a t3 flange to the collectors, and vuala! perfecto.

edit- except for that fact that they would flow like shit

Last edited by The Nisbro; 08-31-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Dare i say it, but this header is more for show and to look cool than anything. Especially once it starts to get really heat up. I'll check into those exhaust design programs, thanks for the heads up.

And dammit Corey, NO TURBO.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 PM
EDM|Mugen|MK3 CRX

.Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge.

Dare i say it, but this header is more for show and to look cool than anything. Especially once it starts to get really heat up. I'll check into those exhaust design programs, thanks for the heads up.

And dammit Corey, NO TURBO.
:Facepalm:

Form FOLLOWS Function.

Design two equal length headers for each half of the 6 exhaust ports. then combine them into a proper collector and connect to exhaust. Perfecto.

Quick Reply: Western Off Topic