Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Western Off Topic

Old 01-28-2012, 05:41 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired
Default Re: Western Off Topic

Originally Posted by The Nisbro
you'll learn to love that smell if you care to drift any. if i could wear burning tire smell as a cologne, i totally would.
Unfortunately this is the smell of stagnant rubber. Totally different smell.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by boostedb1mmer
I would've liked to do a staggered setup, but they wheels come in 8.5 or 9.5 and the widest tire i can run on is 245. I think a 245 on a 9.5" would look kind of stretched and i'm didnt wan't that. It's amazing how limited the space in the wheel well of a 1 series is, now i know why the 1M has those HUGE flares lol
There's a huge variance in the actual width of tires listed as having the same section width.I have 245 width Pilot PS2s on my 9.5" wide wheels,and they'realmost square fitting.Scott had some 255 width Dunlops on his 9.5" wide wheels,and they were much more stretched than my 245s.The section width is measured at the widest point of the tire,and many low profile tires have rim protector lips that stick out 5+mm right at the bead of the tire on both sides,so this can be well over 10mm wider than the width of the useable part of the tire,and that's how the tire is spec'd.The tread width is a better way to judge a tires true width,although some manufacturers don't list this spec.

Anyway,you've already ordered the wheels in 8.5" width,so it's not really important now anyway,haha.With the power you're making,obviously all the rubber you can get will help,so it's something to think about in the future.You can get a 245 width tire that will have a tread width up to 20mm wider than others,so it can make a big difference in traction and fitment.
I'm not sure what wifth wheels/tires come stock on the 135s,but you can usually gain at least 20-30mm more width without having fender lip issues or requiring any rolling of the fenders since the manufacturers are very conservative in leaving plenty of room on the inside and outside.

I really like those particular VMR wheels,and I think any color other than black will look much better anyway.Modbargains had a great sale on them around Christmas,and I wanted to get a set,but didn't have the cash at the time.Excited to see them on the car!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer

Thanks chris, i'll be sure to keep that in mind. When it comes to the engine/drivetrain of the N54 i know whats going on, but the tires/wheels/suspension thing is new to me. My car is kind of odd, it has every option(iDrive, M sport) except for the 18" wheels. I've got the stock 17"x7"wheels now, and i'm running the stock 205 tire dimensions. Traction is nonexistant in 1st, iffy in 2nd and good to go in 3rd. I'm hoping the wider/stickier tires will help out in first and second.

The wheels should ship around wednesday and allowing a week for shipping i should have them mounted on the car weekend after next.

Last edited by boostedb1mmer; 01-28-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Thanks chris, i'll be sure to keep that in mind. When it comes to the engine/drivetrain of the N54 i know whats going on, but the tires/wheels/suspension thing is new to me. My car is kind of odd, it has every option(iDrive, M sport) except for the 18" wheels. I've got the stock 17"x7"wheels now, and i'm running the stock 205 tire dimensions. Traction is nonexistant in 1st, iffy in 2nd and good to go in 3rd. I'm hoping the wider/stickier tires will help out in first and second.

The wheels should ship around wednesday and allowing a week for shipping i should have them mounted on the car weekend after next.
Oh wow,I didn't realize those cars came with 205 width tires standard.Any 245 width tire will be a huge improvement in traction!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer

Originally Posted by TNGChris
Oh wow,I didn't realize those cars came with 205 width tires standard.Any 245 width tire will be a huge improvement in traction!
Yeah, i guess it's a testament to how good the suspension is for a car making 300hp/300tq to do as good as it does with such narrow tires. But they respond to mods so well that more tire is a must.

Here's a pic of what it should look like:

Last edited by boostedb1mmer; 01-28-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude

I dig that a lot. Damm those new bimmers look nice.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:45 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

I was never a huge fan until the 1M, I just didn't see the point. The 3ers were almost the same price, had the same engines, and were better looking. Over time they've really grown on me though. I see them like modern day E30's where as today's 3ers have gotten too big and heavy.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Idk why, but i've loved the 135i since highschool. They're kind of goofy and oddly proportioned and the 335i coupe is arguably a lot more practical 2 door... But i love em for some reason and i finally got where i could afford one and i found one exactly how i wanted(M sport, iDrive, black on black and 6MT) so i jumped on it. I feel like a douche for talking about my car so much lol
Old 01-28-2012, 08:06 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Idk why, but i've loved the 135i since highschool. They're kind of goofy and oddly proportioned and the 335i coupe is arguably a lot more practical 2 door... But i love em for some reason and i finally got where i could afford one and i found one exactly how i wanted(M sport, iDrive, black on black and 6MT) so i jumped on it. I feel like a douche for talking about my car so much lol
When the hell were you in high school? You must only be like 23 or 24, and I suddenly feel so unaccomplished. Don't feel like a douche, we all do it, it's why we have to hang out here, because normal people get that glazed look in the eye when you talk about cars for more than 2 minutes.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

I graduated highschool in 07(08 was the first year for the 1, but the promo shots were everywhere in 07 and hype was pretty big for BMW's "tuner" offering) and i'll be turning 23 next week.

Quick Reply: Western Off Topic