Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Western Off Topic

Old 02-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer
Default Re: Western Off Topic

L
Originally Posted by VanillaThrilla
Someone got hit by a train.. on foot.. in Christiansburg.

How in the FUCK does that happen? I don't remember who the comic was that had a routine about this, but you take two or three steps to the left, or to the right, and you've stopped the attacking train.
Alcohol/drugs or suicide are the 2 major causes. I work for NS and i've seen the damage a train causes, it's not pretty. But you're 100% correct, it's 4'8" between the gauges of the rail and about a foot either side to be in the clear so it's not hard to get the fuck out of the way.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:30 PM
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

Dejavu??

Wasn't there a similar story like this in the same area?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:35 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by boostedb1mmer
L

Alcohol/drugs or suicide are the 2 major causes. I work for NS and i've seen the damage a train causes, it's not pretty. But you're 100% correct, it's 4'8" between the gauges of the rail and about a foot either side to be in the clear so it's not hard to get the fuck out of the way.
She was apparently walking a dog. I just can't wrap my head around it, and I have some pretty extreme mixed feelings.

On one hand, I'm thinking "natural selection." On the other, of course I don't wish that on anyone even if it had been intentional. A big part of me is hoping there's some sort of rational reason why someone could have been hit, on foot, by a train. Maybe the dog got away and she was trying to get it off of the tracks in time?

I have a few friends who are engineers and conductors. That would be kind of traumatic (at least I think so) to hit anything and not be able to do anything about it. Not like you can swerve or stop in time for anything.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

boostdtalon has a reputation beyond reputeboostdtalon has a reputation beyond reputeboostdtalon has a reputation beyond reputeboostdtalon has a reputation beyond reputeboostdtalon has a reputation beyond reputeboostdtalon has a reputation beyond reputeboostdtalon has a reputation beyond reputeboostdtalon has a reputation beyond reputeboostdtalon has a reputation beyond repute

Oh great. Sure i'll hear all about this tonight at work....
Old 02-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer

if she was walking her dog i would guess she may have been listening to music with headphones on and just never heard it coming. And yes, someone was hit in the christiansburg area not too long ago. He survived IIRC. I just don't understand people, the only time you can get hit is when you're on the tracks, just stay off. Honestly, there's no reason anyone has to do die from getting hit by a train.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:01 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by boostedb1mmer
if she was walking her dog i would guess she may have been listening to music with headphones on and just never heard it coming. And yes, someone was hit in the christiansburg area not too long ago. He survived IIRC. I just don't understand people, the only time you can get hit is when you're on the tracks, just stay off. Honestly, there's no reason anyone has to do die from getting hit by a train.
I've walked along a few railroad tracks experimenting with photography lately but I don't walk on them. I'm not sure what the intrigue is, especially if you're disabling other senses like your hearing to hear something coming.

This lady was rushed to the hospital, but I don't know what kind of condition she's in. I just saw it on WDBJ7's facebook update earlier
Old 02-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

i grew up in a rural area and would cross the tracks to get friends' houses but i never walked them.
At work we have a saying that gets more and more true everytime i think about it: "locomotives have no conscious."

The shop i work in repairs wreck units and the physics involved in millions of pounds of machine moving at 40+mph doesn't really make sense until you see the aftermath of what happens when they hit stuff.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:48 PM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

Wow....damn.

Well, on a much lighter note...My car is finally in the garage! Ill be starting on my swap tomorrow.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:53 AM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

oh, hai.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Registered Member

Umm... Is it just me, or does the engine/trans look like a set of balls/dick? Lol

Quick Reply: Western Off Topic