Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Western Off Topic

Old 03-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Go Team Marlboro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo
Default Re: Western Off Topic

Originally Posted by boostedb1mmer
Nope, I live in the SML area.
Awesome, glad I could help! BTW don't forget to put in occupancy weight. Your weight+any crazy heavy stuff or other people you have in the car at the time. And flat roads work the best, but in reality as long as it's the same spot every time it works fine for tuning as it's just a comparison at that point obviously.

Wierd, the one's I've driven seem to spool up way faster than that, but I don't know what their stock boost is either.

I'm assuming that's normal spool?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer

Originally Posted by BSeriesTurbo
Awesome, glad I could help! BTW don't forget to put in occupancy weight. Your weight+any crazy heavy stuff or other people you have in the car at the time. And flat roads work the best, but in reality as long as it's the same spot every time it works fine for tuning as it's just a comparison at that point obviously.

Wierd, the one's I've driven seem to spool up way faster than that, but I don't know what their stock boost is either.

I'm assuming that's normal spool?
Yeah, that's all I've ever thought a dyno is good for; Comparing before and after mods and seeing if adjustments work out. But then again, I'm new to this stuff so I'm learning. Thanks for the help!!!

Stock boost on an N54 is ~7psi. I started that pull higher in the rev range then I should have, so boost/torque would've come up at a lot lower RPM if I had started at $2500 or so. Here's a pull where i started below 3K, its about 350ftlbs at 3300rpms
Attached Thumbnails Western Off Topic-stage-2-sport-dyno.jpg  

Last edited by boostedb1mmer; 03-25-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

Hell yea that looks pretty nice! Do you have any way to make adjustments? Like say get the fuel a little richer earlier(around 3500 and before). Fuel won't really have a huge effect on power(unless very extreme one way or the other), but it can have a drastic effect on how long the motor stays together. I doubt these n54's are cheap! Are there any loggable knock inputs?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer

I don't have a way of making adjustments, as of right now the only thing available is off the shelf maps. Cobb will be releasing user adjustable software soon and I'll play around with it then. I would like to get the AFRs richer below 3500.
The N54 uses two traditional knock sensors, crank acceleration and the piezo fuel injectors act as knock sensors. According to various tuners(Cobb, vishnu, BMS) the N54 has the most robust knock detection system currently available. I usually log timing in cylinders 1 and 2. I'll log all 6 if I'm trying out a new map.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Automotive Slave

FiascoXL has disabled reputation

Quick question, anyone interested in this?

This is NOT a for sale ad, I just know where this car is and can be had fairly cheap. I figured there were a few drift enthusiast that may want it.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

How much $? I've been tossing around the idea of getting a DD. It is a manual, correct?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Automotive Slave

FiascoXL has disabled reputation

Correct, it has the ca18et in it also. The guy I talked to said the trans was currently out of it but wasn't sure why. I guy had said it was a 87' the guy was looking to get around 600. for it.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 PM
i anger trendy kids.

iNF I Ghost I has a reputation beyond reputeiNF I Ghost I has a reputation beyond reputeiNF I Ghost I has a reputation beyond reputeiNF I Ghost I has a reputation beyond reputeiNF I Ghost I has a reputation beyond reputeiNF I Ghost I has a reputation beyond reputeiNF I Ghost I has a reputation beyond reputeiNF I Ghost I has a reputation beyond reputeiNF I Ghost I has a reputation beyond reputeiNF I Ghost I has a reputation beyond repute

bronze wheels or polished wheels on a red s13 hatch?............ hmmmmm 16x8
Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Voted bronze.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:33 AM
Registered Member

pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude

mirror polished!

Quick Reply: Western Off Topic