Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Western Off Topic

Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 AM
I <3 2JZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Western Off Topic

Originally Posted by pearl350z
Perfection Muffler on Peters Creek... But if you're willing to drive Joey(hateful mechanic) in Floyd can do it (used to be Protocal Automotive, but I think they changed their name). He made my exhaust and I provided the muffler and resonator.
Perfection is awesome go see Shannon he will take care of you! Call ahead and make an appointment.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:46 AM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

yeah, go see Shannon..he's done all of my exhausts
Old 03-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by pieisgude
Whats a good shop to get exhaust done? I'm wanting to straight pipe from the cats back, y-pipe, then two mufflers that i'll be providing. Preferably stainless.
Pretty much anywhere you go around here is going to be aluminized mild steel piping,crush bent and MIG welded together.You can supply your own stainless mandrel bends,but it'll still be MIG'd and not very pretty,or relatively corrosion resistant.Not sure if Joey has TIG capabilities or not,but he'd be the only shop I can think of that may be able to do it.I have all the equipment,but not enough time to do it right now(and it's probably not worth it anyway,see below).

Get the mufflers you want,and just take it to Perfection.The crush bent piping isn't a huge deal unless you're building a very high power setup,and it'll still last many years-probably longer than you own the car.Nobody can see underneath the car anyway,so it's not a big deal if it's not the best looking thing in the world.
By the time you buy quality stainless bends and piping,flanges,hangers,etc and pay the going rate for fabrication and TIG welding,you'll have as much or even more into it than you can buy a nice aftermarket cat-back for(you could easily have $800 or more total in it).I've quoted a few people on building exhausts recently,but even at a rate way lower than what a regular welding shop would charge for TIG(that would do no fitting or fabricating,just welding existing pieces),I can't compete with the made in China name brand exhausts that are now out there.Several years ago when somebody wanted something (at the time) unique,like a full 3"+ turbo back or something of that nature,I could do it for a reasonable price considering how much items like that cost at the time,as well as the steel being so much cheaper than it is now.

If you take your own mufflers to Perfection,you should be able to get it all done a couple hundred bucks or so.Just do that,haha.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

Hey Martin, sell me your TIG. plskthxbye
Old 03-30-2012, 08:31 PM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

Originally Posted by pieisgude
Whats a good shop to get exhaust done? I'm wanting to straight pipe from the cats back, y-pipe, then two mufflers that i'll be providing. Preferably stainless.
Hey Carlo, I'll run straight pipe from your cat back. I'll make sure I'll muffle you too... Don't have stainless, as my pipe always leaves stains. Is that cool?
Old 03-31-2012, 03:14 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by BSeriesTurbo
Hey Martin, sell me your TIG. plskthxbye
For as little as I use it anymore,I should sell it.
A lot of the guys on the welding forums are building TIG setups based off the cheapo knockoff China made machines,and they actually work really well and they have very little money into them.Wish that info would have been known when I bought my machine.

Originally Posted by TongWoo
Hey Carlo, I'll run straight pipe from your cat back. I'll make sure I'll muffle you too... Don't have stainless, as my pipe always leaves stains. Is that cool?
Good deal!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:28 AM
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TNGChris
For as little as I use it anymore,I should sell it.
A lot of the guys on the welding forums are building TIG setups based off the cheapo knockoff China made machines,and they actually work really well and they have very little money into them.Wish that info would have been known when I bought my machine.

Good deal!
What cheap tig machines are you referring to? Any links to read?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Spooln4
What cheap tig machines are you referring to? Any links to read?
The welding forum on Honda-Tech is actually pretty good:http://honda-tech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

I haven't been on there in while and I can't remember any name brands right off the top of my head,but basically they're China made machines that are then rebadged and sold by numerous well known "manufacturers".People were finding places selling these machines straight from the companies actually producing them.There were also people converting cheap arc machines(like Harbor Freight) to full TIG capabilities.
Googling "budget tig" will bring up plenty of good info.One thing I did notice just now doing some quick searching was that it looks like the prices overall have gone up quite a bit.When I paid $1,800 for my Lincoln,guys were pieceing together China setups for $500.It looks like now $1,000 or so is on the low end,and some of the well known brands are well over $2,000 for their entry level 220V machines.

What are you wanting to do with it?Just steel,or do you need AC for aluminum?If you're okay with DC only and possibly even okay with a scratch-start machine,you can still get into something pretty cheap.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Banned

DURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these parts

Anyone have or know of any 94-97 integra bumper covers?Color doesn't matter,and neither does condition as long as its not cracked/broken.Thanks
Old 04-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude

Only reason i wanted stainless is because i thought you couldn't weld stainless to non-stainless. I'm probably wrong about that...

But this is what i'm going for:

And something along the lines of this for the muffler/tip:

I already have the tips, i just need some mufflers. But i'm having a very hard time finding some that would work. Plan is 3" to the Y, then 2.5" all the way back to the muffler, and some big ole 5" tips!

Oh, and where is this perfection place you guys speak of?

And here's a pic of the stock exhaust just for comparison's sake:

Last edited by pieisgude; 04-02-2012 at 01:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Western Off Topic