Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Western Off Topic

Old 04-07-2012, 02:31 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired
Default Re: Western Off Topic

Originally Posted by VanillaThrilla
I'm failing to understand your logic.. you want something under $14,000 because you want it to last? I don't get it... lol
Yeah, that makes literally makes no sense at all. It's like saying you want your vest made of paper mache so bullets can't hurt you. What he should do though (for a daily) is get a fairly cheap car, then spend everything else on making it last. In other words, E30 for $500 then swap in an LSjuan.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:31 PM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that, I'm in need of a used car that costs less tYeah now that I look at that, it was a really retarded question lol. My bad, but I think I see where you're coming from b&non. I don't know what I really need to do in this situation.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:10 AM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

I'm thinking about buying this 2012 civic si today, has anyone driven one of these? The sticker on it has $23,175 I was pretty surprised when I saw how low it was lol.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by Yep4doors
I'm thinking about buying this 2012 civic si today, has anyone driven one of these? The sticker on it has $23,175 I was pretty surprised when I saw how low it was lol.
I'd probably go with the previous generation with the K20.The '12 models aren't getting the best reviews as far as quality of build materials,the new engine or the handling of the Si versus the previous generation.
The K20 in the previous car is a really fun engine and I'm sure you can find one for much less than the $23k of the current model.

*edit*Just did a quick search on cars.com for previous generation Si models.I was kind of surprised,as cars with lower mileage were still in the mid to upper $teens.If you're willing to go with higher mileage (75k+)you can find one in the $10k-$12k range.It is a Honda,so it should last practically forever.If it were me I think I'd go with a 50k mile model for $14k versus the new model for $23k.The variable for me would be interest rate-if Honda is financing at or near 0% you'd have to compare the payment on a new model versus paying the 6-7% on a used car loan as far as how it affects the total price.
At the very least,I'd drive the 2.0L car and the 2.4L car,just to see which you like better before buying.If you do go with the '12 model,shop around a little more,as I was seeing some lower prices than your above number.Definitely don't let a dealer convince you the Si is a unique or hard to find model-there's a million of them out there,so you have plenty of negotiating room.MSRP on it is $22,500,so it looks like their sticker on it is inflated.

Last edited by TNGChris; 04-17-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

LOL @ buying a car new.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:44 AM
Registered Member

boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer

Originally Posted by Race B&on
LOL @ buying a car new.
+1000

Find one a year or two old with low mileage and it'll be WAY cheaper than MSRP for a basically new car. My car stickered for $47K brand new, i paid $25K for it when it was 2 years old with 25K miles on it. Wow, now that i think about it, it depreciated the cost of a new Si in value.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:32 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

I don't think I will ever buy a brand new car, the feeling of all that depreciation literally the second it rolls off the lot would totally ruin the experience for me. I would get the feeling of being ripped off every time I looked at it.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:05 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

I've owned two brand new cars and I think everyone should enjoy that experience at least once in their life, but I do agree that it's obviously a better financial move to buy used and let someone else pay the immediate depreciation. With that said, there's no real replacement for the smell of a new unmolested car.

Maybe wait until you're more established in life to make that type of move though, and it will be something you enjoy even more so.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Personally I just feel like the used car market will always beckon to me. The golden age of automotive design is long over anyway. The number of cars that I would actually buy that were made after 2000 can probably be counted on one hand.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer

Hey guys, i've been in Mooresville, NC since sunday night having some mods done to the car. I'm having an Aquamist HFS-3 water/methanol kit installed and dyno tuned using the Cobb ACCESSportTunerPro software. The cool thing is that this will be the first ever professional meth dyno tuned N54 EVER and the car/install/tune will be featured on www.motoiq.com

Not gonna lie, i'm kinda giddy

Quick Reply: Western Off Topic