Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Why do people dyno their car with higher octane?

Old 12-08-2002, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JS4KIKZ
Detonation is a BITCH! Usually use 93 octane on the dyno, but on occasions, I'll do a mix. Its called PREVENTIVE MAINTINANCE
Think about what you just said. I dont know you, nor do I know your knowledge, but seriously sit down and look hard at this post I am about to make:

If you run 110oct or whatever on the dyno, and tune your car, IF YOU ARE TUNING ON THE EDGE, meaning not just rough tuning so your car runs pretty well without any knock, but truly pulling all the power you can out of the engine (IE Higher EGT's, more timing, less knock) then when you drop the 110 you will GET DETONATION. What you just posted makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You say that high octane suppresses detonation, right, but you totally ignored the fact that you are TUNING YOUR CAR. Therefore if you are truly tuning your car then you are tuning it for the octane that is IN THE GAS TANK AT THAT TIME! If you remove this gas, and then go back to 93octane you WILL DETONATE. There is no preventive maintenance about that. I could seriously scream at people who say that stupid ass comment but im holding back. What you say just makes no sense whatsoever, and I seriously feel you need to think long and hard about the idea of what tuning does.

Turn the boost down, tune on lower boost to resist blowing headgaskets, etc. THEN slowly raise the boost a tad, and repeat until you have hit your max. THAT is how tuning should be, and CAN BE done on 93octane without any problems whatsoever. Screw the whole "im going to protect my motor by adding 100octane in while im tuning" cause that is just BS, and you are only going to seriously screw up your tuning figures.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Originally posted by marshall

if i were tuning my car on a dyno i would be interested in tuning on 110+ because that is what i put in the car when i race it. i'm rather uninterested in getting the perfect 93 octane tune because i don't race on the street when i would be running 93...

marshall
That obviously would be fine, just obviously you would want some sort of readouts so you knew where to set settings for 93octane when you are done. Having 2 fuel maps is definately a good thing. In fact I would recommend when you tune your car, getting the humidity, elevation, and the ambient air temp at that current time and keeping it in some form of log. I have begun doing this myself. It makes future tuning much easier, especially if you travel between the elevation of blacksburg and back to the 80ft asl elevation of fredericksburg
Old 12-08-2002, 06:58 PM
XxX
XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXx

XxX is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks god
Old 12-08-2002, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

JS4KIKZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me clear up what I mean to say. I 99% of the time run 93 octane on the dyno. Probably twice have I put higher octane while on the dyno because I was having trouble with my boost controller and I would only boost up to 15-17. So, I would turn it up a bit. Now, if by chance my boost would creep above 22psi, I would be more than happy to have something better than 93 in my car. Now, I appreciate the information you've given me but it almost seemed like you were coming off as an asshole by saying Think about what you just said. I dont know you, nor do I know your knowledge, but seriously sit down and look hard at this post I am about to make Like I said, thanks for the info, its just the way you posted it, didnt sound like "constructive critisism".
Old 12-08-2002, 08:44 PM
Registered member

Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz

I made 25 more hp on higher octane
I can switch my map over to the high octane setting for the track
1 map for street 93
1 map for race race gas

*edit*
btw...for you boosted guys...if you think you can put C16 in and turn up the boost to make more power your wrong. You need to be tuned for it else your gonna loose power

Last edited by Twelvz; 12-08-2002 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:10 PM
God

Rguy is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for that info.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Originally posted by Twelvz

*edit*
btw...for you boosted guys...if you think you can put C16 in and turn up the boost to make more power your wrong. You need to be tuned for it else your gonna loose power
Very unlikely, most likely the fuel map for the 93oct will closely resemble the fuel map for the higher octane, just it will allow for less knock, and hence higher boost.

Now for JS4KIKZ, why were you only boosting 15-17? A car with your mods should easily be able to hit 18psi on the street, if you were having problems hitting that with your boost controller, then you really should run an intake leak test, etc to figure out what the problem is and fix it BEFORE tuning the car. Don't just simply bump the boost up, as if it's a leak you are just going to be blowing hotter air into the engine and running slightly richer, both of which arent good. About the boost creep issue, if you are able to hit 15psi like you said and hold it without creep, then by no means would you creep at 17+psi, as the higher the boost you run initially, the less likely creep is to occur. Try to run very very low boost and that is where creep will be experienced. With your setup though, I would think that creep would be very unlikely. And assuming you did have creep there is no reason you should be on a dyno trying to tune the car, as that is just too dangerous. At that point procedures for a better wastegate would be needed, whether that is messing with the factory wastegate or going aftermarket. Although I cant say I know any Supra guy who just simply messed with the stock internal gate.

My words came across harsh, because I meant them to. I dont mean to bite your head off but I did mean to make your comment look very stupid. There were multiple posts about how you should tune with higher octane, and by you calling it preventive maintenance and totally ignoring everything that I had said, pissed me off thats all. I know that what you said is very much more apt to damage your car than it is to help it.

Last edited by 16g-95gsx; 12-08-2002 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Originally posted by 16g-95gsx
Very unlikely, most likely the fuel map for the 93oct will closely resemble the fuel map for the higher octane, just it will allow for less knock, and hence higher boost.

I do want to point out that I am not doubting you that more tuning is needed when better fuel is used, I just wanted to say the fact that you very much can gain quite alot of power by having your car tuned for 93oct and dumping in higher octane and raising the boost accordingly.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Jeff Taylor has a spectacular aura aboutJeff Taylor has a spectacular aura about

wow... a lot of tuning experts and a lot of true assholes around here aren't there?
Old 12-08-2002, 11:15 PM
God

Rguy is an unknown quantity at this point

i consider myself a little of both.

Quick Reply: Why do people dyno their car with higher octane?