Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Why do people dyno their car with higher octane?

Old 12-09-2002, 03:35 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JS4KIKZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Its wierd, when I run on the street, I never have a problem with hitting 20psi which is what I try to tune by, but after a few pulls on the dyno, it ends up not going past 17? I'll keep working on it
Old 12-09-2002, 04:30 AM
www.mr2oc.com

bill strong is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe you are not having enough air flow across the intercooler, your engine is detonating, and your ecu is retarding timing or not allowing boost to get top 20.

Not knowing your setup I am just throwing ideas.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:04 AM
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bill strong
Maybe you are not having enough air flow across the intercooler, your engine is detonating, and your ecu is retarding timing or not allowing boost to get top 20.

Not knowing your setup I am just throwing ideas.
Something is wrong. that's for sure. If you live here in the blacksburg area I have an intake leak tester you can use for your car. It'd be the simplest way to find out. I also have a datalogger for OBD2, I dont know if your car is OBD2 as only a few 1995 car models were, but if you know you are you can use that too. The datalogger will tell if you're knocking, and the intake leak tester will allow you to quickly find any leaks you have.

I agree with Brian, I am a little of both when certain situations arise
Old 12-09-2002, 06:58 AM
Registered Member

V8BRICK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do people dyno their car with higher octane?

Originally posted by 16g-95gsx
Just curious, as Josh's post reminded me. It seems to me that all the cars that use a dyno always add higher octane fuel to their car and THEN tune it. Is it just me or does this make no sense at all? Yes adding the higher octane will resist knock, but if you are tuning to the threshold anyway like I would hope you are doing, then it wouldnt make any difference whether it was on 100 or 93 octane, since you were teetering on the borderline anyway. I just find it funny that all these people always dyno their car with slightly higher octane and tune it that way, because the moment they get off that dyno and get regular gas in their car, they will begin to knock like a bitch and power will decrease significantly. Anyone here have any thoughts? Sorry this wasnt an attack against you josh, I dont want to make it out to be like that. This thought was actually brought about by my friend with his supra going to tune it on the dyno, but the owners of the shop that were going to tune it said for him to put some 100octane in the tank for the dyno day, and I argued with my friend saying hell no dont do it. Your comment just reminded me thats all.

If you are going to make power claims for a daily driver, then tune and dyno on just plain 93oct. That's my thought for the day.
I'll chime in with my awesome knowledge in general grand wizardry and common sense. The reason I would run higher octane in a forced induction car (with intercooler) is because you're tuning on a dyno with no real world AIRFLOW across your damn intercooler. Most dyno pulls are done in 3rd or 4th gear right? So that would mean at speeds greater than say 40mph as a low figure. Why would I want 110 race fuel in there??? Because it would be incredibly hard for some crappy walmart fans to simulate 40mph+ airflow across an intercooler. Higher octane fuel is a SAFETY precaution against detonation because you are not getting sufficient airflow across your intercooler on a 3rd or 4th gear dyno pull!! On a forced induction car with intercooler you're only rough tuning on a dyno anyway unless you can push the respective airflow across the intercooler that it would see in reality.

So yes, on a dyno:
hotter air + 93 octane = less boost and more detonation.
hotter air + 110 octane = little more boost and less detonation

Very unlikely, most likely the fuel map for the 93oct will closely resemble the fuel map for the higher octane, just it will allow for less knock, and hence higher boost.
If the fuel maps are so close between the two octanes, you shouldn't have a problem running 93 octane on the street with it tuned for raced fuel on the dyno BECAUSE you now have colder air moving across the intercooler. The only exception would be on hot days, which any owner would know to watch the boost and EGT temps for signs of detonation. Now I'm sure you could get technical (enter engineers) and figure out the relationship between non moving air across an intercooler as it relates to octane ratings and figure out exactly how far you could push your street tune in relation to your dyno tune, but if you're really this serious about pushing your car to the outermost limits, it should have been brought to the dyno on a trailer.

So in conclusion, put a dyno in a wind tunnel and do all the tuning your heart desires, and lower your drag coefficient too.

Or get an air to water intercooler.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:08 AM
www.mr2oc.com

Default Re: Re: Why do people dyno their car with higher octane?

Originally posted by V8BRICK

Or get an air to water intercooler.
I have never understood why guys spend thousands on engine internals and then skimp on a non-efficiant intercooler like an air to air. Yes they look really cool sitting down low in your spoiler, but they are really not that good. Air to water is the best. But at over $1000 for a good setup it is a bit pricey, but then these are the guys that put 20 pound wheels on cars too... so that is why I never really say anything.

another good intercooler would be NOS... back in the old days of the 1980s that is what we used NOS for. It works really well as an intercooler.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

marshall has disabled reputation

i think you answered your own question, air to water is expensive. it's also pretty heavy. it's complicated. it takes up a fair amount of room. it loses efficiency as you use it...

Looking at the IC core chart in my turbonetics catalog, my air to air core is 88% efficient at 20mph, pressure drop at 20psi is only 0.6 psi. seems pretty good to me.

marshall
Old 12-09-2002, 08:21 AM
Registered member

Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz

Very unlikely, most likely the fuel map for the 93oct will closely resemble the fuel map for the higher octane, just it will allow for less knock, and hence higher boost.
bullshit

maybe you missed the part where I said...if you use C16: 116 octane leaded
Old 12-09-2002, 08:40 AM
God

Rguy is an unknown quantity at this point

"another good intercooler would be NOS... back in the old days of the 1980s that is what we used NOS for."

Anyone else find this funny? NOS is a company, not a reference term for Nitrous/N20.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:49 AM
www.mr2oc.com

so is the name Hoover... ask any english person what they call a vacuum...

generic.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:34 AM
God

Rguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent,ill just start referring to all my shoes as nikes even though i dont own any.

Quick Reply: Why do people dyno their car with higher octane?