Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Why do people dyno their car with higher octane?

Old 12-09-2002, 03:03 PM
Just a 1.3 Liter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GreyGT-C is an unknown quantity at this point

i run a screen meshing over the inlet for my IC and have NEVER had a bent fin or puncture problem. As far as front mounts.......yeah....i don't like them.. I run a under hood mount and can keep my temps only a few degrees above ambient even after 30 minute runs........i just don't think this is possible w/ an AW. Not on high boost for long durations. I'm in the boost probably 26 minutes out of a 30 minute session. If i wanted to make some soup afterwards.......an A-W may be ok
Old 12-09-2002, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bill strong

There is a misconception that air to air is good for the roadies... well how can you finish a race if you have a big ass hole in you intercooler, plus it can effect your straight line speed due toi drag.

Hole? WTF? a FMIC moutns in the same location that your RADIATOR DOES. WTF? Does you radiator have HUGE holes in it? No. I have no clue what you are getting at here, but talking about drag CE and holes in the IC is retarded IMO.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JS4KIKZ
I just need better clamps for my IC, they suck
How do you know they suck if you've never tested your intake? I have run 20psi on my IC with regular worm clamps and they hold fine. Shouldnt be any different on your car.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:17 PM
Just a 1.3 Liter

Originally posted by 16g-95gsx
How do you know they suck if you've never tested your intake? I have run 20psi on my IC with regular worm clamps and they hold fine. Shouldnt be any different on your car.

I blow wormdrives off on mine coonstantly....it depends on your mounting flange. My turbo to IC connection is a sharp bend (yeah yeah...i know) and the coupler bead can only be rolled about 2/3 around. I'll be using heim-joint connection rods to suppliment the t-bolt clamps from now on.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:21 PM
www.mr2oc.com

bill strong is an unknown quantity at this point

have you ever seen the front end of a car after a roadrace? I did a 24 hour at Watkins Glen back in 1988, the rad and intercooler would be filled with rubber after about 2 hours of running, we had to have someone wipe the gunk out at each pit stop. Had to use a stiff brush. We tested using a mesh grill... but temps skyrocketed due to them working great on street cars, but not so well on a race car. They did not flow well.

We tried some different methods when I raced in England on the Shelby, but we always had issue with rubber clogging up the rad and the intercooler.

I am not going to sit here and argue with you. With your vast experience at racing, or at least reading the very latest in import magazines, I doubt I can sway you. It is guys like you I love racing... cuz I normally win... no mater how many thousands of hp those BPU parts give ya
Old 12-09-2002, 03:30 PM
God

Rguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright bill, you make good points. But getting rubber and grime on the front of a race car is part of racing. They clean the windshields, might as well do the intercooler too. Still havent defended this statement:
There is a misconception that air to air is good for the roadies... ..... plus it can effect your straight line speed due toi drag.
or this
Ait to air intercollers will also slow your car as they are not very aerodynamin. They have to be put into the airstreem. Though this looks really cool to all the 16 year old girls, it is not the way to make your car fast
As far as my "reading the very latest in import magazines" tells me, a FMIC is placed in an area that is already susceptible to drag, ie, simply sits in front the of the radiator.

Last edited by Rguy; 12-09-2002 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:35 PM
Just a 1.3 Liter

so i suppose your hot water heater would be nice and chilled after a 24 hour enduro race? RIGHT!!!.. What did you do about the radiator? maybe a water to water radiator???., yeah..that would be cool..........

as far as your normally winning......i'm very proud of you.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

JS4KIKZ is an unknown quantity at this point

They suck cuz they dont hold very well. Want me to show them to you?
Old 12-09-2002, 03:52 PM
www.mr2oc.com

bill strong is an unknown quantity at this point

The rad for the air to water cooler can be much smaller than an engine rad. It can be mounted in front like the normal rad. But it you notice a water rad does not need as much airflow as an intercooler does.
The intercooler itself can kill your engine rads efficiancy.

You could also run the cooling rad in a air conditioned box filled with liquid. The Beast MR2 did this. It worked pretty well. Most engines have an AC compressor, might as well use it for something good instead of keeping your girl friends makeup from running.

any time you sit anything into the air flow you create drag. drag is bad.

I am sorry about those statements. I dont know you and I should not have said that. Sorry again.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:56 PM
Just a 1.3 Liter

bill....check PM

Quick Reply: Why do people dyno their car with higher octane?