Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Why do people dyno their car with higher octane?

Old 12-10-2002, 11:10 AM
Pimpin teh stockness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5

I use higher gas on dynos cuz the cars in japan use higher octane, therefore it makes my shit more jdm yo.

just kidding, i rather know what hp i was making on everyday gas than a once in a while type of thing
Old 12-10-2002, 05:37 PM
i probably hate you

Mr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these parts

Originally posted by ToyotaTechGeek
you don't know bill either.
Yeah, you have to have met Bill and you have to know what he's done for the automotive comunity in general to know what your dealing with.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:20 PM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

hey matt-
haven't seen ya around!

anyway, about this argument...
boo
the geek
Old 12-10-2002, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mr.2
Yeah, you have to have met Bill and you have to know what he's done for the automotive comunity in general to know what your dealing with.
And I care why? I dont think you guys understand here, I was attacked personally BEFORE I ever attacked him. Bill could be the queen of england at this point and I wouldnt care, he was wrong to do what he did and I felt I should be able to defend myself.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:09 AM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

i'm trying to figure-out where an 'attack' was made. you guys should meet at a track somewhere and hash-out your differences. it's only way...
the geek
Old 12-11-2002, 04:19 AM
brake/steer/throttle

okay, so i went back again (and was reading ) and the closest thing i could find was the reference of a 16 year old girl and loving to race guys who think all of the bolt-on parts and make crazy hp figures think they're fast. i also think the one comment about the latest ragazine readers might have offended. all-in-all, not that i'm the one it matters to, there's nothing offensive in nature. just balls-out talking. one thing i will say is that the majority of 'sport compact enthusiasts' don't have much respect for venerable members of the already established import community (those there prior to the early-to-mid 90's craze) or to others. this is just an observation. and another thing: when you get so visibly upset at something someone says, it makes you look like a total defensive fool who knows he's wrong. not opinion, just a psychological/behavioural fact. this includes name calling, cussing, and getting all inflamed. now, if you argue back in a nonchalant way based on scientifically (or otherwise) proven fact, it's described as a debate. just take it for what it's worth.
the geek
Old 12-11-2002, 05:06 AM
Registered Member

marshall has disabled reputation

"all-in-all, not that i'm the one it matters to"

ok then, shut the fuck up about it.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:15 AM
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, Dan close this thread or something. It has gotten so far off of topic it isnt funny. Bill just tried to make me out to be an ignorant person in one of his posts, he apologized, but I felt I deserved my shot, I took it, others feel they should add their 2 cents in which I really couldnt give a shit about cause I still know that bill was disrespectful first and yet you guys refuse to see and admit that. But this all has absolutely nothing to do with dyno tuning, and I do wish this thread to end now as it is no longer useful to anyone.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:19 AM
What FMIC?????

MKNTRAXX MKNTRAXX MKNTRAXX MKNTRAXX MKNTRAXX

ToyotaTechGeek.... And it amazes me that for the fourth time you have brought absolutely nothing constructive to the discussion.

I think it works to put higher octane in so you can make the most of your dyno time. Say you are using just 93 octane and you go to dyno.. First pull you start at a bit higher boost... Get up to about 5500 RPM and your A/F ratios just spike or start to.. you notice it right away and have time time to back off the gas before anything goes wrong.

but now you just wasted that pull pretty much... You make your adjustments to your AFC and check your data logger(wish they worked for my car), and make another run and hope its enough and can make a full dyno.

I see that as a reason.. if you had high octane in.. you probably could have made a complete run in,maybe not.

I see high octane as something good to use for people running stock bottem ends, meaning not forged pistons mostly. People that mighty need that extra safety.

All depends on people preferances and what they want.. I don't know how close to the edge i would want to try to push my car on 93 octane.

I understand you guys with data loggers can tune your car closer to the edge, but you can also keep much closer track on whats going on, then the rest of us.

I am glad to have found this thread, as i am starting to get to the point where all this information is useful to me and how i proceed with my car and its tuning/building. This is helping me greatly, though what little i put in is just from my very in-experianced view at this time, so take it with a grain of salt if you wish.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:56 PM
brake/steer/throttle

you know, i was just reading along and figuring-out what the hell the big stink was all about. further, i guess that is non-sensical to you guys. enjoy oblivion.

Quick Reply: Why do people dyno their car with higher octane?