Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Wider tire in the rear?

Old 07-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wider tire in the rear?

I would love to own a SyTy just as a around town car. Somewhat practical and yet still fun.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

myclone has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx
I would love to own a SyTy just as a around town car. Somewhat practical and yet still fun.
There was a guy in Salem that had a ty in the paper for sale a while back. Dunno if he still has it since the ad is gone from the for sale section but thats the only one I know of that is/was for sale local. A guy that lives out 221 and goes to school in Cburg had a white ty but last time I ran into him it wasnt for sale.

Theres a dealer in/around Richmond that has a sy on his lot that looked to be in decent shape by the add that I saw on autotrader.com. Kinda pricey but like all dealers Im sure he'd negotiate since he's been sitting on it for a number of months now.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:57 AM
Rice -4- Life

YeloBlitzEclips is on a distinguished road

i think i saw one for sale out on peppers ferry near the new merchants tire for sale. didn't stop to get a good look at it though
Old 07-10-2006, 08:47 AM
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks really good man, I have always liked Syclones.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:49 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Spooln4
Looks really good man, I have always liked Syclones.
Thanks man. BTW, looking at your sig thats a pretty damn quick car on 93 octane! Not to mention thats a pretty sweet looking car as well.

To get my pile to run 7.50s and not detonate the crank out of the block it takes 116 octane ($$$ ouch) . Gotta love the crappy/detonation prone combustion chamber design gm seems to use on everything they build
Old 07-15-2006, 08:27 AM
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks man. I also get 29mpg on highway with a dead O2 sensor and 850cc's . I am hoping for 7.50's on pump gas this year.

I didn't realize those motor's were so prone to detonation. I guess they really start making power when you crank the boost up, hence the need for 116.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Spooln4
Thanks man. I also get 29mpg on highway with a dead O2 sensor and 850cc's . I am hoping for 7.50's on pump gas this year.
(as myclone searches google to get the conversion for cc to lbs/hr )

29mpg?! Yeeesh... Im happy if I can eek out 18mpg on 50lb injectors
yeah, the fueling tables still need work .

I didn't realize those motor's were so prone to detonation.
The combustion chambers are the culprit really. They used the same comb chamber design that they have used on the small block chevy since the early 50s which is horrible as far as flame travel, quench, and swirl. The true vortec heads that came out in the mid 90s with a MUCH better comb chamber can tollerate a lot more timing and/or boost on lower octane. Im hoping to swap the stock heads for a set of vortecs Ive done some work on over the winter.

I guess they really start making power when you crank the boost up, hence the need for 116.
I can get away with 17psi running 93 octane but any more than that the ECM starts pulling timing out due to knock. 116 octane is used when I want to make that 3 bar MAP really work for a living and not scatter the motor all over the road.

Last edited by myclone; 07-15-2006 at 02:54 PM.